Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can you enjoy a kid free day when your kids are here?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 34 Replies
My husband, our kids, my aunt and uncle are all camping together. My cousin doesn't like camping so she doesn't come but sends her 8 yr old girl. She keeps her other two at home. They are 3 and 1.

Her kid is so spoiled and a brat. My cousin parents her out of guilt because none of her kids dads are in the picture. She throws fits when she doesn't get her way. Is so picky she only eats fast food, whines and complains about everything.

My cousin showed up at camp yesterday with her other two and proudly announces she's going to go fish and enjoy a kid free day. Um, how can you enjoy a kid free day when all of your kids are here? She didn't say another word, just started to march down to the lake.

I picked up the 1 yr old, took the 3 yr olds hand and made her oldest come with us. I walked them down to the lake and said, here are your kids. I'm taking mine and Travis (my husband) and I are going swimming.

See at this point, we had had her kid for four days. Four days of fits, whining about food we were making and complaining. No, I was done.

What would you have done? Can anyone explain this thinking to me?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:07 AM
I wouldn't have taken her kid camping in the first place. If she was well-behaved. But since she's not it's not going to happen. She sounds like she's used to taking advantage of you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:10 AM
I didn't bring her. Her parents (my aunt and uncle) did.

Quoting SAHMJC: I wouldn't have taken her kid camping in the first place. If she was well-behaved. But since she's not it's not going to happen. She sounds like she's used to taking advantage of you
mrsmom110
by NO on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:16 AM
2 moms liked this

I would've done the same thing.  I understand being a single mom is hard, but you can't do stuff like that w/out working it out in advance.  To just assume that others will watch your kids while you fish is presumptuous and rude. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:17 AM
Right? And the fact that we had all been watching her for days now. My cousin lives 45 minutes away from our camp site. She just didn't want to come

Quoting mrsmom110:

I would've done the same thing.  I understand being a single mom is hard, but you can't do stuff like that w/out working it out in advance.  To just assume that others will watch your kids while you fish is presumptuous and rude. 

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:19 AM
But who was actually the one dealing with her? See I wouldn't have even been okay with helping out with her. You bring her you take care of her. I mention that because you said that you had been dealing with her

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't bring her. Her parents (my aunt and uncle) did.

Quoting SAHMJC: I wouldn't have taken her kid camping in the first place. If she was well-behaved. But since she's not it's not going to happen. She sounds like she's used to taking advantage of you
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:19 AM
I have children who may be classified as difficult. DH and I know better than to take advantage of sitters. Also, they love the water and it'd be mean to ditch them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:20 AM
She sounds like my SIL. My other SIL put it best when she said "she doesn't mind being an imposition". I was invited for a playdate and it really meant "watch my kids, I got a new phone I want to play with"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:21 AM
She slept in my aunt and uncle's camper. We all dealt with her but a few times, she goes off with my husband and I when we walk our two to the playground. We all share two campsites, next to each other so everyone deals with the kids as they run together

Quoting SAHMJC: But who was actually the one dealing with her? See I wouldn't have even been okay with helping out with her. You bring her you take care of her. I mention that because you said that you had been dealing with her

Quoting Anonymous 1: I didn't bring her. Her parents (my aunt and uncle) did.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:23 AM
I love my cousin. I know she's overwhelmed, being single with three kids, but you don't need to have a kid from every relationship you have. She refuses to use birth control or have her tubes tied.

Quoting Anonymous 2: She sounds like my SIL. My other SIL put it best when she said "she doesn't mind being an imposition". I was invited for a playdate and it really meant "watch my kids, I got a new phone I want to play with"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:25 AM
I could be understanding if her child had any special needs but she does not. She just is spoiled. I won't allow my kids to be difficult. I parent and punish, I don't threaten. I follow through. My two know how to act or know they will get nothing.

We decided to play hide the rock. We painted it and everything. She threw a massive fit when my son found it. I took the rock and said we were done playing. A little while later, I caught my uncle slipping it into her book bag to go home. I called him out and took it back.

Quoting Rhodin: I have children who may be classified as difficult. DH and I know better than to take advantage of sitters. Also, they love the water and it'd be mean to ditch them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)