Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let a child do something if a sibling was against it?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 270 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

We were at the mall and they had one of those little bungee trampoline things that you see from time to time.

My 8 year old has always been terrified of them. He always wants to try it and then gets on and cries. Or, gets on and jumps maybe 2ft in the air and then see how high he jumped and gets scared and wants off.

My 12 year old has also always been scared. But she has never cried or asked to get off. She just gets on and bounces a bit.

We were walking past it at the mall and my 2 year old got so excited and started begging to try it.

I told the kids all no because I know how my middle kid is and I just didn't want to leave the mall with anyone crying.

Well DH ended up in the bathroom for 15 minutes right by the jumper thing so me and the kids are just sitting and watching. My 2 year old asks me again if he can try. My oldest wants to do it too. So I'm like why not?

We get in line and my 8 year old starts begging and crying saying please don't let the 2 year old do it. He's scared for him etc.

It was really dramatic sand honestly I felt bad letting my little one do something the middle was so clearly against. But I also felt like it was up to my 2 year old. Not my 8 year old.

So... Would you have stopped your 2 year old from playing because your 8 year old was that upset about it?

I should add 2 year old loved it! He never wanted to get off!

Edit: I attached an image of the type of ride.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cybcm
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:25 AM
20 moms liked this
Absolutely not. One does not get to dictate what the other enjoys.
MBMBRN
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM
3 moms liked this

No, of course not, that's ridiculous. Don't punish one child because another is afraid. That's just wrong.

iamme1986
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this
No. Let the 2 year old it. It will show the other kids that it is ok! You don't want your two year old to be scared to try things just because the older kids are. Its not fair to him
mrsmom110
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:28 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope.  I'd tell the 8 y/o that you appreciate his/her concern for their younger sibling, but that he/she deserves a chance to try it out.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

If the my kids WANT to do something, that is THEIR choice. What thier siblings want is of no concern.  Really who lets one kid decide what the other can do?

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
There is no way I would let my other children dictate what my child can do. I would remind the child that they are not the kids parents and just because they are afraid doesn't mean that their sibling can not enjoy the experience
Cbreland07
by CranioMama on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:35 AM
8 moms liked this
Um no.. I'd also be wondering why my 8 yr old was acting like a baby.
It one thing to be scared of something, it's another for them to throw basically a tantrum about someone else doing it.
He needs to learn that his fears don't dictate anyone but him
bethanymommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM
I would not have stopped the two year old.

My 8 year old dd wanted a hair cut this summer. It was to her bottom and she cut her to her shoulders. My 6 year old chopped all her hair off two years ago and it is just now to her shoulders. She begged and begged Christa not to cut it hysterically through the entire hair cut and for a while afterwards. Lol it was very dramatic.
But I let big sister make her own decision after asking for a hair cut for over a month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol no. I would have told him to go sit down and mind his own business.
.MiaBella.
by Mia on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:41 AM

Nope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)