Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone know anything about archery?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM
  • 19 Replies
My daughter 13 she wants to learn to shoot a bow! We have a nice big back yard with a common lot (huge field for community use) no one uses it. She is joining 4H soon and I'm thinking about getting her a bow for to practice with. Something she can use in our backyard and take to practice when it starts in February. I don't want to spend $300 on a bow. I was thinking maybe under $75 used is fine.
She is 5'8 and weighs 160lbs. She swims and is very athletic. I saw a nice bow but it looks really long. I'm not sure if that's right for her as a beginner or not.
Any advice?
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:05 AM
I would sign her up for lesson/team and then if a purchase is necessary I would get what they require. My nephew took up archery last year and is loving it. I don't know many details though.
CBusymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:51 AM
I still want something for her to fiddle with. Mostly I figure if I start looking now for a nice one used by the time February comes around she will be set.

Quoting MrsBieg: I would sign her up for lesson/team and then if a purchase is necessary I would get what they require. My nephew took up archery last year and is loving it. I don't know many details though.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Traditional bows, not composites, are pretty long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Not sure. They have an archery team at my kids school though and it looks really cool! Bump for u
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:55 AM

I would go to an archery store if you have one in your area or a sports store like Dicks or Sports Authority and talk to the staff there.  I would get her a student bow to start with and then if she really likes it, sticks with it and gets good, then invest in a better one.

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM
Sign her up for lessons. If you have a bass pro they offer them. They let you try out the different bows and when you figure out which one she likes go on Craig's list and see if you can find it for cheaper.
Hopnpop
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:57 AM

Most places let people try the bow and give advice. You don't want something easy, but nothing too hard. It's difficult to say with out watching her. I grew up shooting bow and arrow. And guns. You said 4H? I was in 4H for years. Maybe talk to the 4H leader and see if they have some ideas.

Hanab818
by ThePonds on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:58 AM
Sports authority went bankrupt. They are closing all the stores so they will probably have them at really good prices.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I would go to an archery store if you have one in your area or a sports store like Dicks or Sports Authority and talk to the staff there.  I would get her a student bow to start with and then if she really likes it, sticks with it and gets good, then invest in a better one.

CBusymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:06 PM
Would her height be taken into consideration when purchasing a bow?

Quoting Hopnpop:

Most places let people try the bow and give advice. You don't want something easy, but nothing too hard. It's difficult to say with out watching her. I grew up shooting bow and arrow. And guns. You said 4H? I was in 4H for years. Maybe talk to the 4H leader and see if they have some ideas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM

Yes and no, it's her arm strength and determination that matters more. My little brother ran around with a bow almost as tall as he was. It was funny to watch him. 

if she can draw the bow is most important. After that, it's her determination to hit what she aims for. 

My husband wanted my oldest to play soccer. We spent so much money over 3 years. My husband wanted him to play. My son, had no interest. If she's interested, it's worth the money, to have someone there coach her and you. I'm here. I can give you advice, etc, but it don't take the place of a person there coaching her. 

You have to decide what you're willing to pay and how motivated she is. 

Quoting CBusymom: Would her height be taken into consideration when purchasing a bow?
Quoting Hopnpop:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)