Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My in-laws are all f-ing a**holes!!!

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:04 AM
  • 38 Replies

Dh and I quit our jobs, sold our house, got rid of almost everything we owned, pulled our kids out of school and moved clear around the world so that we could live near his family for a change and give them a chance to be a part of our and our kids' lives. They had said for years they wanted to be able to have more of a relationship with their son and grandkids, and dh thought it would be a fun experience for our kids to try living abroad for ahwhile too. We discussed, we agreed (me somewhat hesitantly), we accepted positions to teach English, and we moved. This was 2.5 years ago.

When we first moved here dh's dad and step-mom were very welcoming. We spent most weekends with them and their two children (who are pretty much the same ages as our daughters). Our kids got along really well with their aunts and that was awesome. Dh's mom and other two older sisters (adopted) were not as welcoming, but things were decent between all of us. Then about a year in it's like the novelty of us being here wore off for them.

For the last year and a half we've had almost no interaction with any of them because they always have excuses and/or are too busy. Dh has made friends here and even had some friends still here from when he lived here in high school. My daughters and I have no friends, none, zero, zilch- unless you count family. So, basically, we have no one besides dh. Time and time again we've tried to make plans for getting together with his family, and time and time again they blow us off. We have been asking his mother and sisters to go swimming for over a month. (We can't get into the pool without them because we don't live in the neighborhood the pool belongs to.) Every time we ask mil makes an excuse. We invited them to go to a movie with us this last week just to have some interaction with someone else, and she blew us off under the pretense that we'd get together this weekend. Today comes and goes and she never responds to our texts or calls confirming our plans. Then once it's too late to go she magically gets our messages and responds with a message saying she didn't know we had plans. WTF?! Stupid b!tch.

I'm so f-ing over all the drama and bs. No one in this stupid family makes any time for us, even knowing we have given up EVERYTHING to come here. All of my family is in the States, all our our friends are in the states, and everyone here is full of bullsh!t priorities. @*&$?%#!

Okay, sorry for the soapbox rant. I just had to get that off my chest. *sigh* Whew. Actually feel a little better now. Thanks for letting me vent. lol

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Why in two and half years do you or your children not have anyone else to do things with?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Why haven't you and the girls made any friends?
SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like ya'll are being kind of clingy and that's the problem. I don't blame you since y'all did move all the way over there so that they could be a part of your lives. But I'm thinking that maybe what they're thinking. I would honestly start thinking about moving back.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure they didn't expect to be your sole focus and only form of entertainment. Go out and meet people for yourself.

ReedusStalker
by 11-15/3-27 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Quoting peanutsmommy1: Why in two and half years do you or your children not have anyone else to do things with?

This.  How have you not made friends?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM
It's not their fault you haven't made friends in 2 and a half years. I doubt they expected to be your constant companions. Put yourself out there and make some friends.
Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:19 AM

So go out and start making friends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:22 AM
Most likely they cant stand you .
MinnieBooboo17
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM

i hate to be a pain but how come you and your children havent made friends in two and a half years?

Mom2Boys9501
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Move back home. Then again I never want to leave this country.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)