Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flying with littles

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:35 AM
  • 9 Replies

Im going to be flying with littles next week. 3 hour flight. Any tips?

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Spring for on flight booze...just kidding, kinda😉 Give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport and get through all the checks and such, bring books and toys. Quiet ones! My kids love those magnetic books where you can make scenes or what have you.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM

How many kids?  What ages?  Any other adults going along?  Big airports or smaller?

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh - and I hope you sprung for a seat for them as well.  Terribly unsafe to have lap kids.

JKiss84
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:47 AM

What age are the little ones?

I've flown with my DD twice (so technically 4 times round trip). I found that feeding during take off and landing was best. Landing is usually louder so I would cover my DD's ears. Lots of toys...really anything that will keep them distracted. If you have a baby change his/her diaper before getting on the plane. I don't know who you are flying with but my southwest flights bathroom had no changing table or really any room to change a diaper. If you do have to change a diaper ask for a bag to put the diaper in then discard it.

My biggest piece of advice (and I could get flamed for this) is don't care what other people think. Now, if you have older children obviously don't let them run a muck but if they get fussy or cry don't fret about it. It happens. Just take care of them and yourself. Good luck, OP! 

2lilanklebiters
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:53 AM

1.5 & 9 .. i will be the only adult. Im not so worried about the 9y old. A mine craft book and a mp3 player for his 5 nights at freddies songs and he should be fine. Its the 1.5 im nervous about. Big airports. we are flying from Newark to DC then to Charlotte. The flight there is a night flight so im hoping the lo will sleep

Quoting Not_A_Native:

How many kids?  What ages?  Any other adults going along?  Big airports or smaller?

2lilanklebiters
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:55 AM

9y has a seat and i have teh one next to him. Im flying out on an emergency to visit my dying father. budget is tight and I could just barely afford for us to go. So yes lo is on the lap. But i figured ds is big enough to help me since we are sitting next to eachother. Plus hes skinny as a rail so ill have a little room next to him for the lo

Quoting Not_A_Native:

Oh - and I hope you sprung for a seat for them as well.  Terribly unsafe to have lap kids.

2lilanklebiters
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Thanks. lo is 1.5 .. ods is 9. Hes not the one im worried about. Although hes never been on a plane and is a little frightened about the idea

Quoting JKiss84:

I've flown with my DD twice (so technically 4 times round trip). I found that feeding during take off and landing was best. Landing is usually louder so I would cover my DD's ears. Lots of toys...really anything that will keep them distracted. If you have a baby change his/her diaper before getting on the plane. I don't know who you are flying with but my southwest flights bathroom had no changing table or really any room to change a diaper. If you do have to change a diaper ask for a bag to put the diaper in then discard it.

My biggest piece of advice (and I could get flamed for this) is don't care what other people think. Now, if you have older children obviously don't let them run a muck but if they get fussy or cry don't fret about it. It happens. Just take care of them and yourself. Good luck, OP! 

JKiss84
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:03 AM

If your 9 yo is willing to wear them, buy ear plugs. 

Quoting 2lilanklebiters:

Thanks. lo is 1.5 .. ods is 9. Hes not the one im worried about. Although hes never been on a plane and is a little frightened about the idea

Quoting JKiss84:

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:12 AM
We flew with a 1 year old and 4 year old a few weeks ago. We used both of their car seats on the plane (much more comfy for them. We rented the little trolley to push them through the airport. I wore the baby through the airport in the baby wrap and the 4 year old walked. In the airport we found the kids play area after security for them to burn off steam then I nursed the baby. We boarded when the asked for small children and passengers needing extra time. I installed botg seats, both kids, gave them each a new (surprise) toy (a dry erase letter book for 4 year old and a car for baby) they both fell asleep at take off, woke up with an hour left. Fed them each a granola bar and glass of juice. We played some more and we were on the ground. Hardest part was getting luggage and kids and car seats onto the shuttle to the rental car place. But we survived!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)