Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can you donate food gotten from wic?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
We recently got custody of my niece (9 months). It couldn't have come at a worse time, but I won't send her away. I'm the only family that can take her. Df is one month away from getting off his work probation period and getting nearly double what he's making now. And I just lost my job. we needed a bit of help this month, so we went to wic.

They gave us 7 cans of formula (about half a months worth), 32 jars of baby food (again, half a month), and 3 boxes of baby cereal. How are we going to get through all of that cereal? We were told that we have to buy all of what is on the card in order to get next months. I know I can't sell it (and I wouldn't.), but I can donate it, right? I plan on making teething biscuits with some of it, and feeding it to her (duh) but I don't think that would use up all of it. The formula and baby food she will go through easy. (And my Dfs parents are giving us things from their garden).
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM

You might be surprised at how fast you go through it and how much.  Keep it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM
I don't think there would be a way to tell, would there? I mean, once you buy it, you can probably do whatever you want with it and donating is better than throwing it out. Honestly, id just keep it in case you need it later. Those things stay good for quite some time. If you get into a better financial position and find you dont need them, then donate.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:40 AM
I sold the formula on eBay
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:43 AM

I used the heck out of cereal. Makes a great base to add fruit and other yummies. I used to puree raspberries and bananas and add it to the mixture. I still do, we just use oatmeal instead.

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM

I did when we received it with my youngest.  Food banks don't question where it came from.  Neither of my kids ever ate baby cereal to begin with.

Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:49 AM
Mix it in with the baby food
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:08 AM
You will go through it. When I started my son on baby food at 5 1/2months. We went through it completely till he was 7 months old. And I donated the formula what I had left. And gave the baby food and cereal to a friend that was expecting.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:10 AM
Mix it with the food to stretch it further. You're unable to afford more food so this is an easier way to stretch it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)