• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what age would you let him walk back home from school ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
We live half a block away and I usually get home an hour after the end of his school.
I'm curious about at what age you would let your son have a key and walk back home half a block and stay home alone for an hour
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:05 PM
Bump
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:07 PM
6 or 7 to walk home, 10 to stay home alone for an hour afterward.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:07 PM
Bump
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:07 PM

Half a block away and 1 hour alone time... assuming the neighborhood is safe and he has someone close by he can call in case of an emergency, about 4th grade.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 2:11 PM
Probably 4th grade, to stay by himself for an hour. Just to walk home and meet you, I would say much earlier.
I also live a block from the school, I plan to have my kids independent enough to walk home by themselves by the end of kindergarten.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:19 PM
Really ? Wow . Not criticizing . Just glad you can trust a kid at that 6. One of my kids will turn 6 a month and a week after kinder and I doubt I would let him come alone but im hoping to finish work an hour earlier next year

Quoting Anonymous 2: Probably 4th grade, to stay by himself for an hour. Just to walk home and meet you, I would say much earlier.
I also live a block from the school, I plan to have my kids independent enough to walk home by themselves by the end of kindergarten.
Ted1242
by I'm listening. on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:22 PM
My sons 7, 7, and 9 walked home all last year. I can see the school from my house, and they were home for about 20 minutes alone. My fourth grader will be home for about 45 minutes this year but he's like a really old man on the inside, and we have two neighbors he can go to.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:24 PM
I'd say 10, 4th grade, assuming he's responsible and comfortable with being home alone that long.
Curlymom234
by Flamingo lady on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:25 PM
I'm going to say 10 or 11 staying home alone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)