Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat moms, a question

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 5 Replies

My 8 yr old cat is finicky.  She prefers clay litter to scoopable but either way, if she thinks it's too dirty, she'll poo right beside the box.  If it's scoopable, she wants it scooped after very time she goes.  I'm not a nasty person, I change the litter regulary and use baking soda and stuff.

Is there a self-cleaning box that's worth a poo?  I've petsat (10 yrs ago) for people that had a couple different ones but none of them worked very well.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
silvermermaid
by Allison on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:27 PM
I never found me that worked very well and I tried most that were on the market. Eventually I used litter box liners and cleaned the box every damn day for 17 years, barring the weekend here and there that I was gone and the 9 months I was pregnant (my husband cleaned it then). It's the only way to keep it as clean and smell free as possible. Plus, you have to buy a new box every 6 months or so because the plastic starts to stink.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM

I don't use liners, only bc they shred them but like that idea.  I scrub the box but didn't realize you need to replace them more than once a year.

Thanks!

Quoting silvermermaid: I never found me that worked very well and I tried most that were on the market. Eventually I used litter box liners and cleaned the box every damn day for 17 years, barring the weekend here and there that I was gone and the 9 months I was pregnant (my husband cleaned it then). It's the only way to keep it as clean and smell free as possible. Plus, you have to buy a new box every 6 months or so because the plastic starts to stink.

silvermermaid
by Allison on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:42 PM
Oh yeah, they do shred them. I forgot lol. Maybe try two liners?

Washing the box is good but every once in awhile just get a new one. It helps. :)

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I don't use liners, only bc they shred them but like that idea.  I scrub the box but didn't realize you need to replace them more than once a year.

Thanks!

Quoting silvermermaid: I never found me that worked very well and I tried most that were on the market. Eventually I used litter box liners and cleaned the box every damn day for 17 years, barring the weekend here and there that I was gone and the 9 months I was pregnant (my husband cleaned it then). It's the only way to keep it as clean and smell free as possible. Plus, you have to buy a new box every 6 months or so because the plastic starts to stink.

theResidentCat
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:44 PM

well from what you are saying dont just go with any cat box recommended, do your research and choose the auto cat box that will handle the type of litter your cat likes. Otherwise what if you end up buying some cat box and it only takes or works best with a type of litter your cat hates?

See what Im saying here?

I just know these boxes may have a short life you will need both old and new boxes running until the cat get used to the auto box.

I have used them in the past but had to rid of them due to space. I had no where to put it and plug it in. I should get another one though.

PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:47 PM

Have you tried crystal litter?  I use Walmart's Mimi crystal litter because it doesn't have a heavy fragrance.  The cats seem to like it too.  With crystal litter, the urine gets absorbed and the stool gets desiccated but you should scoop out the poo everytime she goes in there. I keep my litter boxes in our bathrooms and they get scooped (if they need it) everytime someone goes into the bathroom and I dump the litter and wash out the box every 2 weeks and put in fresh litter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)