• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I wish that I could find them

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM
  • 3 Replies

Mobile Photo

I had dd out for her birthday today. Our last stop was Walmart so she could pick out cake mixes and such. On our way out she saw 2 deputies from the Sheriff's Office and asked me if she could shake their hands and tell them she appreciates them. Of course I said yes! Now, dd has struggled with her speech her entire life (she was a micro preemie). She's been doing really well but it's especially difficult to understand her when she's nervous. She went up to the male deputy and asked to shake his hand. She tried to relay her respect but he didn't quite understand her. He wished her a happy birthday as did a female deputy that was there, and they walked away. Dd came to me and said "I don't think he understood me and I didn't get to shake the girls hand". I told her if she wants to try again she should. She ran up to the female deputy and excused herself into the conversation. She shook her hand and said "I appreciate you". It may seem like a little thing but for dd it was conveying a big message. The female deputy spoke to dd for a minute while the male deputy went to his car and got some stickers. Dd told the female deputy she wanted to be a cop when she grows up. These two were great! I could tell that they were having a hard time understanding her but nothing but patience and encouragement were shown. As mom it was a great feeling. I know dd really struggles and feels self conscious when people don't understand her. They really made her day, which made my day. I wish I had had the opportunity to explain to them how much it meant to me that they stopped and actually listened to her...That they tried really hard to understand her. I wish I was able to tell them how much she struggles and how badly it hurts her when people don't at least TRY to understand what she's saying, that they don't recognize how hard she tries to speak clearly. I wish I could thank them for allowing her to walk away with a smile, feeling encouraged that one day she can "help people like those cops do". I wish I could tell them that I respect them. What probably seemed like a small, insignificant interaction to them was a huge deal for my daughter.
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
HellHound
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM
That's so sweet and your dd looks adorable.
myshoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM
You can call the non emergency number and express your gratitude to the dispatcher and leave a message for their superior. You don't need their names. Just a location and approximate time it happened.
mom2many747
by Momma Duck on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:24 PM
I didn't know I could do that! Thank you!

Quoting myshoes: You can call the non emergency number and express your gratitude to the dispatcher and leave a message for their superior. You don't need their names. Just a location and approximate time it happened.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)