• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you let them pick?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM
  • 28 Replies

If you buy your kids a new outfit for the first day of school, do you make them wear it?  If you buy your kids new sets of clothes, do you let them choose what to wear the first day?

I was talking with a friend, and her exDH bought outfits for their boys to wear on the first day of school, with explicit instructions that they be worn on the very first day, no ifs ands or buts about it.  Seems weird to me, but now I'm curious about other families.  Personally I let them wear what they like.  If it was suitable for school, then it's suitable for the first day and any pictures that might include. 

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofcatandmone
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:12 PM
My girls are going into 5th and 7th. They pick their own clothes.
PlaysAllDay
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM
My kids get a new outfit for the 1st day of school. I take them out shopping one at a time and we pick it out together. It's our little tradition.
Mom-to-2kids
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:13 PM
I don't care what my kids wear, only rules is they have to fit and be clean.
ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Not the mountain I choose to die on... Mine is going to be a freshman though so it might be different.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I always let me dd choose her clothing. I am not a control freak. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:16 PM

I pick out most of their clothes with plenty of input from them ("they" are a 4 yr old girl and 6 yr old boy)  They choose for themselves what they want to wear for the most part. I "suggest" things--but as long as it's not ripped, stained, too small or a REALLY bad clash, they can wear what they like.  I just try to make sure most things will coordinate :) 

I have no idea what my son will pick for the first day. He's usually got pretty good taste :) 

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM
I do pick out their clothes for very specific occasions, the first day of school isn't one of those. The rest of the time, as long as it's clean and appropriate, I don't care.
Bettywooptiedoo
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:18 PM
I honestly can't imagine caring.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:19 PM

I let them help me choose their new clothing when buying it but they can choose what to wear to school as long as they don't look to crazy or silly, lol

mrsmom110
by NO on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:20 PM

Agreed.  Same here.  I've learned to pick my battles.  

Quoting ShaMac: Not the mountain I choose to die on... Mine is going to be a freshman though so it might be different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)