• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I fire her?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM
  • 59 Replies
To explain, I own my own business, a nanny agency that does very well. I'm on maternity leave right now but I check in with my assistant, Dawn, each day to see if there is anything I need to be aware of.

My top, most requested, hardest working nanny, Angela, has been letting families hire her on the side. When she started, she signed a non compete agreement that stated she is not supposed to work for any of the families that are clients of the agency anytime during the duration of employment and two years after. That protects me from people "stealing" my nannies. Which reduces my revenue, among other things. It states clearly that she can be sued for no less than 25k in the event that she breaks the agreement.

The way my agency works is a little different. I'm contracted with companies in the area that use my service as a back up, when their regular childcare is unavailable. The companies then offer it to employees that pay a Co pay of $5-$7 an hour, and the company foots the rest of the bill. So I have a bunch of people on payroll, and even more families. So a nanny won't typically go to the same place more than once unless they're requested. Because Angela is so popular, I run the risk of clients not being happy, which means they could complain, enough complaints mean I lose the contract. Not to mention the legal fuckery it opens to my business if something happens while they're "working"

I am torn. Should she be fired? Put in probation? She's a very nice person but I can't let my nannies work for families away from the agency.
by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I would fire her, because chances are she will keep it up regardless. 

quinnhenrysmom1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM

have a chat with her.her reaction should make your decision for you..

GKmoms18
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM
I had thought about that too which means I would have to have my lawyer and her a cease and desist

Quoting Anonymous 1:

grey7399
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM
Warn her she is about to be terminated, see if that knocks her off her cheating pedestal
mischele
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM
I would fire her
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:06 PM

Fire and sue her., She signed an agreement with you and has violated it. Let her get away with it and others will do the same.

GKmoms18
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:07 PM
I laughed when I read cheating pedestal! So one for fire, 2 for probation

Quoting grey7399: Warn her she is about to be terminated, see if that knocks her off her cheating pedestal
ihave1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM
This, & take her ass to court.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

GKmoms18
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Make an example out of her, I like your style

Quoting Sassy762:

Fire and sue her., She signed an agreement with you and has violated it. Let her get away with it and others will do the same.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 5:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Give her a raise so she'll stop. It makes more sense financially to "poach" clients in this day and age. She probably doesn't make much. If she's so hardworking- you want to retain her. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)