Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your grocery store have this?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM
NO
  • 96 Replies

I just made a quick run for milk today and noticed something new.  On all the carts is a sign saying the wheels will lock if they are taken beyond their parking lot.  So as I was leaving, I noticed new lines painted near the entrances/exits in the lot that showed pictures of the carts w/ a line thru them, to show that was the point the wheels would lock.  

I found it intersting and sad at the same time, that the stores had to do this to prevent theft of their carts.  I mean who wants a shopping cart?  Are they able to cash them in as scrap?

Anyway, does your store(s) do this?

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never seen that. I could see stores in Chicago doing this. People love shopping carts in some neighborhoods. Lol
TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM
Nope
kookiered79
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep the chain I work for has it. It's almost like an electric fence and if the cart goes past it, they lock. Each cart cost 225 dollars and do disappear so I agree with it
romalove
by SakePrincess on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My local Dollar Tree has that, if you take the cart outside the store, the wheels completely lock up, and they warn you at the doors with big signs.

That does not stop people from trying lol.

Mrs.Pedro
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM
Our Walmart does. We live in an area of high homelessness so it's not too shocking.
Elle.tea.22
by Emerald Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM
Most stores I've been to are like this
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this
There are no signs, but I know they lock. Idk what causes it, but at Target all of their carts locked a few times. And they were indoors. I figure it was a malfunction.

I've seen people without cars take the carts with them to haul the food home.

I've seen some carts in questionable places. Like in a tree. Hanging on a fence, etc. I can see why they'd do it.
mmm2015
by Eldouchedegrande on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:45 PM
1 mom liked this

i haven't seen that yet.  But people steal carts all the time, even just to cart their groceries home.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Just about all our stores have been doing this for years now. Idk about scrap, but I have seen homeless with their things in carts. There's even a guy who I've seen walk around a friend's neighborhood with 2 of them and he collects cans, bottles out of all the recycling bins.
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Aug. 6, 2016 at 6:46 PM
I've never seen anything like that before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)