Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How would you handle new aide???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 126 Replies
I work w students with developmental disabilities. I have 6 teachers aides. Recently, I got a new one, and I'm not sure how to handle her. She complains about getting paid minimum wage, and doing the tough work(like changing diapers), while the teachers have it easy and make good money. I suggested she go back to school. I have a masters in special education.

She also complained she has the most difficult student, but the special ed director assigns that, not me. I told her to talk to the director. She complains about going outside to play and our swim trips to the Y. She's tried to change our schedule and shorten activities she doesn't like. I stopped her or changed it back. I'd like to nip this in the bud with the least amount of drama. She's also on her cell phone a lot.

How would you handle this? This school rarely fires aides because they pay so little.-minimum wage. Its hard to replace them.:( So I may be stuck with her.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:14 PM
14 moms liked this
I'd tell her to cut the shit...that these kids deserve better than that and if everything is an issue maybe she should find another job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd tell her to cut the shit...that these kids deserve better than that and if everything is an issue maybe she should find another job.

That blunt?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:16 PM

BUMP!

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I would issue a warning and if she continues I would let her go. If that's not your job, I would tell her boss so they can handle it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:17 PM
She only makes minimum wage?? Wow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Tell the director let them handle it.
bonnie333
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes that blunt. Shes acting like a spoiled brat.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting Anonymous 2: I'd tell her to cut the shit...that these kids deserve better than that and if everything is an issue maybe she should find another job.

That blunt?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Fire her

There are just certain people that shouldn't work with anyone with special needs and she sounds like one of them.
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM
Are you her direct supervisor?

If not, give her some professional guidance and tell her to follow it or you will report her behavior
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but I don't deal well with people who complain when I'm sure she knew what her job description was and her pay before she accepted the job.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

That blunt?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)