• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

16 year old do NOT need parental permission to get a passport

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 15 Replies

Anyone 16+ can apply for their own passport in the US. I am amazed at how many moms on here dont know this. 

Parental permission/awareness is recommended but not required. If they have a drivers license it is really not that hard to get a passport. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM
But I think a custodial parent can provide a written objection, right?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes but if the kid does it behind your back you wouldn't even know to object

Quoting Jabojoe: But I think a custodial parent can provide a written objection, right?
Jabojoe
by Ruby Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:59 PM
Well true enough I suppose. It doesn't worry me, mine are 14 and 18 and have had passports all their lives and traveled outside the U. S. plenty of times with their dad and other family. But I could see how it could be an issue for some parents, I guess.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes but if the kid does it behind your back you wouldn't even know to object

Quoting Jabojoe: But I think a custodial parent can provide a written objection, right?
MBMBRN
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM

I didn't know that. I've had passports since I was a baby, so it was never an issue.

bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:02 PM
I guess I've never had a reason to look it up. Pretty ridiculous IMO. It should be they're adults or they're minors.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the problem is that kids are getting them behind their parents backs and leaving the country. There was a post about a girl who was going an hour away to Canada with a passport she got behind her parents back. That one doesn't seem too bad but a couple days ago there was a post about someone's son who took off with his friends from Ohio to Mexico with his friends for a week. That is really scary

Quoting Jabojoe: Well true enough I suppose. It doesn't worry me, mine are 14 and 18 and have had passports all their lives and traveled outside the U. S. plenty of times with their dad and other family. But I could see how it could be an issue for some parents, I guess.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Yes but if the kid does it behind your back you wouldn't even know to object

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM
I don't care.
SusieCarmichael
by NotARugrat on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:10 PM
I didn't know that.

I don't have a passport so that's probably why.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:59 PM
I think an original birth certificate is also needed.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)