Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wow, you're the stereotypical single mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 33 Replies
1 mom liked this

When I was little I always knew I would be some hot shot lawyer one day, or best selling author. I was always one of the smartest kids in the class, I was the one to lead all group projects and loved being in charge. I just KNEW I had the recipe for success flowing through my little veins. Fast forward to 31yo me. I am a single mother to a 12yo and still have a year and a half until I get my Bachelor's degree. I'm barely scraping by. I never in a million years foresaw this for myself. Even up to a few years ago. I know I'm still young but I'm old enough that I should have SOME kind of handle on life right now, not LESS of a handle than I did when I was 21. 

My boyfriend is pretty well off and has told me that all I have to do is move in with him and he'll take care of us while I finish school, but that's not the route I want to take. I want to make it on my own. If I decide to live with him I don't want to do it for any other reason than out of love, not need. 

Does anyone else feel this way? Feel like they just made all the wrong moves at some point even though they had every opportunity to succeed? 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Just have a back up plan!
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:48 PM
Yep, then I divorced his ass. Sorry, I wish you good luck mama, I'm not sure what to say. Big hugs and keep your chin up, you'll figure this out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:50 PM
Yes! I had my life planned out totally differently from the way it's going. But I wouldn't change any of it, I have 3 young beautiful dd's that motivate me to drag my butt to school every day to make a better life for them. It's exhausting but totally worth it
hateaway
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM
You don't love him?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:06 PM
Not really. I knew I was smart, always got A's on all of my work, but I ended up with Hashimoto's that went undiagnosed for 2 years while I was in highschool. I ended up missing so many days that I failed 2 years of highschool. No matter how smart I was, it didn't matter. I couldn't get scholarships, my mom couldn't afford to put me thru school, I really had it in my head that college was only for rich kids who only needed to work for extra spending money.
kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:10 PM
Nope. My life pretty much went as planned. I grew up with parents that financially struggled, I knew I'd never do that to my kids.

So far I've kept my promise.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:13 PM
Yeah I never saw this coming. Oh well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:17 PM
Sounds like you're not that into him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:27 PM
I was in a similar situation. 4.2 gpa, full ride scholarship, entered college as a sophomore because if my ap credits. I'm 31 with a 12 year old, too. Don't have my bachelor's.

But luckily I went into nursing. I've been a nurse for 8 years, and make a healthy salary. I am married to a pretty financially successful man, but i was doing fine before that just on my own.

Don't let your pride stand in the way of your success. I moved back in with my parents for almost 4 years to get through school. There's no extra credit for never accepting help in life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 11:34 PM

I had potential. My mom kind of screwed me by sending me to this uber religious brainwashy boarding school for my freshman year of HS. It took for awhile, and I married very young to a total dipshit who was also abusive. I eventually left him but I still never really recovered. I ended up with another guy who seemed great but turned out to be... Well, not. He's not as bad as my ex and I'm still with him... A lot of the guys women talk about on here are way worse but there are some issues that I have difficulty figuring out how to navigate. We have 2 kids together and I adore them but my life is not what I thought it would be by now. Sometimes I get frustrated but I'm learning to accept what I must, and improve what I can. It is what it is.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)