Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitten help please!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:49 AM
  • 17 Replies
My cat had kittens. She keeps trying to move them, which generally isn't a big deal. But she's moving them into the room my boys share. She's in my room now because the kids would constantly try to hold them. The kids are still too young to be trusted alone with them. Not only is she moving them into that room, she is putting them all into two different under the bed storage bins that toys are in. As in all in one under one bed or all in the other bin under the other bed. Not in the ideal setup that I have for her in my room with her own pillow and area!

She's in a big kennel for now locked in but I can't keep her locked up for hours at a time. She bolts for the door with a kitten in her mouth every time someone opens it, or puts them all on my bed. Any ideas on how to get her more comfortable in here? The only other place would be my office but I am cleaning it tomorrow with doors open.

One more thing, she moves them a lot. Even when she's got a space for them that she moved them to, she will move them again for no reason. They were born this morning... I woke to three kittens in bed with me and her coming back to move them one by one off my bed into a toy box. Yes... I washed the blanket! 😂😜 (I'll say that when you wake right next to a furry thing you know is alive that's too small to be a rat and too big to be a mouse and your eyes aren't focused yet, it's a bit of a startling experience.)
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
allycally
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:56 AM

Mobile Photo

My 5 year old cat had her 1st litter,long story but I thought she was fixed...I have her and her kittens in a large crate with a heavy blanket over it.Cats like to have their kittens in dark areas because the kittens eyes are closed. I have a problem with the runt.it cries constantly.I have to put the other 2 kittens in a seperate box a few times a day because they won't let her eat.They push her off.Anyway Id try covering the kennel and honeslt the firat few weeks you only need to let ur cat out every 4 hours or so.Overnight she should be with her kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM
I cam for pics...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:02 AM

Mobile Photo

She needs a separate quiet area. A large kennel would be best since moms dont leave them much at all early on so just need a small space, litter, food and water.

I foster feral pregnant cats often for a shelter and this is how I set them up. Even the wild ones will take good care of their babies as long as they are not messed with and have everything close and no one messing with babies.

If you can provide even a box with all her needs very closeby she should quit moving them.
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM
:) I've got two litters. I'll quote you with some tomorrow!

Quoting Anonymous 1: I cam for pics...
LoveMyJJJ
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM

I don't have any advice, but of all the probelms to have it sounds like a cute problem. lol Good luck!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:03 AM
Put the toys in something else temporarily then put the box under your bed, or bedroom closet (open) if your bed is too low.
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:05 AM
She's got a large quiet setup much like that. She's moving them out of there and into toy boxes. Litter food and water are close. I have another litter in here right now that are fine and happy but this mom just feels like she has to move them to the loudest room of the house! I don't know how to get her to stay in her space.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Mobile Photo

She needs a separate quiet area. A large kennel would be best since moms dont leave them much at all early on so just need a small space, litter, food and water.

I foster feral pregnant cats often for a shelter and this is how I set them up. Even the wild ones will take good care of their babies as long as they are not messed with and have everything close and no one messing with babies.

If you can provide even a box with all her needs very closeby she should quit moving them.
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:07 AM
I'll try that. My bed is the kind that goes to the floor with the drawers at the end so they can't go there. I'll put that box into the closet tomorrow.

Quoting Anonymous 3: Put the toys in something else temporarily then put the box under your bed, or bedroom closet (open) if your bed is too low.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I had a cat that would do that except she would hide them all over the darn house and sometimes in the garage. Never together though. So we'd get to play find the kitten lol fortunately she only had 3
lalaballet
by Wrapper on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:11 AM
I could easily see it turning into that! But I've got three boys and a daughter who love animals and are still learning the we can't touch baby animals thing. And I've got a newborn so if I'm nursing I can't have them finding the kittens!

Quoting Anonymous 4: I had a cat that would do that except she would hide them all over the darn house and sometimes in the garage. Never together though. So we'd get to play find the kitten lol fortunately she only had 3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)