• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you sue?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
My Middle DD was having issues with her hips so her pediatrician ran some test and then sent her to a podiatrist to see if it was from her feet. They took X-rays and he informed us that she suffered from an inherited disorder in which she was born without a certain bone in her ankles and that was what was causing the pain and claimed that hers was so bad that it required surgery to place a pin in her ankles to fix it. So we set up the surgery and other members of the family were also tested (myself, my dad and my youngest DD) we were all informed that we all had it too.

A few months after my DD's surgery she was still having the hip pains but the doctor said it would take time. She then fell down the stairs and dislodged the pin and the doctor had to remove the pin but planned to replace it on a different date.

For many years I've suffered from plantar fascistis but none of the treatment worked ( the cortisone shots caused bumps in my feet where they did the shots that I still have nearly 8 years later and the inserts gave me blisters and made the pain worse). When we discussed my surgery I asked if it would be possible to do the surgery for that at the same time and the doctor said that it would and that I also had a bone spur near the plantar muscle so he would scrape it at the same time, so I had my surgery done on May 6th.

When I woke up after my surgery I didn't speak to the doctor and was under the impression that he had only placed the screw in my ankle and fixed the plantar muscle area (bone spur and the fascistis). But at my follow up I found out that he decided that my heel bone was bigger than what he thought it should be so he scrapped it too.

Since then I have been in Excruciating pain, I can't feel half of my heel and the other half feels like I am constantly being cut into nonstop. There are times that I am in so much pain that I just sit rocking and crying because nothing helps. I have been doing physical therapy 2x weekly for over 2 months but I still limp when I walk. The doctor who did the surgery refused to answer any questions and kept giving me medications that I was allergic to and wrapping my foot with adhesives which I have a reaction to so I found a different doctor. When I was talking to the new doctor about my surgeries she informed me that the surgery that I had to place the screw in my foot was not because I was missing a bone because they is no bone missing in my feet it was for FLAT feet and my feet were not that bad and my DD did not need the surgery either. And she also informed me that if I have not gotten any feeling in my heel back by now I most likely will not get it back!

So in other words the 1st doctor performed a surgery that wasn't necessary in both me and my DD and he performed a surgery on me that we had not discussed before the surgery and on something that I have NEVER had an issue with before but now I'm in pain constantly, so much pain that it affects my every day living.

He also prescribed a medication that could have affected my health if my regular pharmacist had not of caught it and known that I am a diabetic and known that it would affect my diabetes in a bad way. He knows that I am a diabetic, he also kept giving me a pain medicine that he knows that I am allergic to, his nurse had to keep taking the script back so he could change it.

This is just some of the things that he's done but just knowing these, would you sue this doctor or not. I will most likely have to suffer with this pain and other symptoms of the surgery that we didn't discuss for the rest of my life and that is the only area that is causing me the most issue.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:25 AM
If you're suffering, and it's impacting your daily life then I would look into what options there are as to if the previous Doctor has any legal responsibility regarding any ongoing medical issues related to the previous surgeries. I don't know if I'd sue - I've never sued anyone before, but I've also never been in a similar position so I guess all I can say is that I'd consider it.
LoveMyJJJ
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:25 AM

If the doctore performed any unnecessary/non-emergency surgery without your prior consent or without getting consent from an authorized family member then I would be seeing what legal options I had available to me, more so if you're suffering from it. And, no, I am not sue happy and think people in today's society are way over eager to sue; however, this claim sounds like its legit. imo

mommyecr3
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM
I'm not normally an advocate for suing anyone, but,,,in this case, I believe if all your issues are for real, this Dr could be sued.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:30 AM
He never even talked to my family after the surgery. I didn't know anything about the other surgery until my follow up appointment when his nurse was unwrapping my foot and asked me what was going on and he walked in laughing and said that he did a Chinese puzzle and that while he was doing the surgery he noticed my heel bone was bigger than usual so he took it upon himself to shave it down. The nurse looked at him like he was crazy!

Quoting LoveMyJJJ:

If the doctore performed any unnecessary/non-emergency surgery without your prior consent or without getting consent from an authorized family member then I would be seeing what legal options I had available to me, more so if you're suffering from it. And, no, I am not sue happy and think people in today's society are way over eager to sue; however, this claim sounds like its legit. imo

GKmoms18
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:31 AM
I totally would
DisabledVet
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not only sue him, I'd also report him to the medical board and post this info on his and any other website that has him listed.  I wouldn't want anyone else to be fleeced by this thief.  I'd also place an ad, looking for otters he's done unneeded surgery on. 

Perhaps a different ethical doctor might be able to fix the problem.  This is exactly why I check out every doctor I go to before he/she touches me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:36 AM
I'd start looking for a lawyer if I were you. I'm so sorry.

Quoting Anonymous 1: He never even talked to my family after the surgery. I didn't know anything about the other surgery until my follow up appointment when his nurse was unwrapping my foot and asked me what was going on and he walked in laughing and said that he did a Chinese puzzle and that while he was doing the surgery he noticed my heel bone was bigger than usual so he took it upon himself to shave it down. The nurse looked at him like he was crazy!

Quoting LoveMyJJJ:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:36 AM
I also woke up from surgery with bruises on my right side from my hip to my ankle and my right elbow and the surgery was on my left ankle and I had a huge "patch" looking spot on my right leg that to this day he swears up and down that he doesn't know what it's from but when I showed the picture to another surgeon he said that the doctor does know what it's from because he put it on me to prevent me from being burnt from the contouring knife they use when they cut you, but I'm allergic to adhesive so he's saying he doesn't know what it's from and it's made from adhesive.

Quoting mommyecr3: I'm not normally an advocate for suing anyone, but,,,in this case, I believe if all your issues are for real, this Dr could be sued.
mommyecr3
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:39 AM
Did you tell the staff that you have adhesive allergies??? If not, this will be against you in a lawsuit

Quoting Anonymous 1: I also woke up from surgery with bruises on my right side from my hip to my ankle and my right elbow and the surgery was on my left ankle and I had a huge "patch" looking spot on my right leg that to this day he swears up and down that he doesn't know what it's from but when I showed the picture to another surgeon he said that the doctor does know what it's from because he put it on me to prevent me from being burnt from the contouring knife they use when they cut you, but I'm allergic to adhesive so he's saying he doesn't know what it's from and it's made from adhesive.

Quoting mommyecr3: I'm not normally an advocate for suing anyone, but,,,in this case, I believe if all your issues are for real, this Dr could be sued.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:43 AM
I told everyone that walked in the room, signed a form that had it on there and they put an allergy bracelet on me and so everyone that seen it also asked what my allergies were and I told them hydrocodone and adhesive

Quoting mommyecr3: Did you tell the staff that you have adhesive allergies??? If not, this will be against you in a lawsuit

Quoting Anonymous 1: I also woke up from surgery with bruises on my right side from my hip to my ankle and my right elbow and the surgery was on my left ankle and I had a huge "patch" looking spot on my right leg that to this day he swears up and down that he doesn't know what it's from but when I showed the picture to another surgeon he said that the doctor does know what it's from because he put it on me to prevent me from being burnt from the contouring knife they use when they cut you, but I'm allergic to adhesive so he's saying he doesn't know what it's from and it's made from adhesive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)