Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you ever dealt with a Compulsive Liar?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
In your experience, did they change? Can they?

I feel like I'm going crazy.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:19 AM

Yes I have and no they dont change. Once lying becomes compulsive, they dont know how to function without doing it. They will lie about the smallest of things without any reason to do so.

lowencope
by ❤️Lucy 💋 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:23 AM
I don't know about lying compulsion but I inow someone who's an alcohol addict with a lot of narccistic tendencies. He seems to embellish accomplishments and lie about stupid things. He could only change of he wanted to change but he doesn't think there's anything wrong.
Missdameanor
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:25 AM
No, I never have.
Wait, that was a lie.
Jblb
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:27 AM
Yes. She is now one year sober and doesn't is like a completely different person. I haven't felt I was being lied to for a good 6 months now. So, yes, people can change. Just need to find the root of the cause.
rachel216
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:30 AM
My ex is. No and no. I didn't I left
STVUstudent
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:30 AM

I have known a few, dated a couple.  In my experience they do not change... it is a behavior that is ingrained for whatever reason.  Most of the habitual liars I knew whould lie even when the truth fit better, lie over important stuff and just as quickly lie over stuff that doen't even matter a bit... one of the reasons I have stressed to my children from early on the importance of saying what you mean and meaning what you say, and how if you are not truthful people will not trust you and how it is important to be trusted.

I would never again enter into a relationship with someone that I found was a liar, nor would I let them be any part of my kids' lives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it's not likely they will change. 

If you want to give him the benefit of the doubt, you need to understand the compulsive lying is a symptom of deeper issues. He may be able to change if he recognizes his problem and seeks intense therapy.

But you can't change him and without professional help, he will continue to drive you crazy. Dealing with someone like that is mentally and emotionally exhausting. It will take its toll on you. 

Msmom1104
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:33 AM
Yes (my ex) and although I do believe that people are capable of changing, he has not. 13 years later he's still a damn liar. 😏
rhope4
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:45 AM
Same here. My ex has lied about little things, big things, and even lied in court! I'd have to go see for myself if he told me the sky was blue...it's that bad. It's one of many reasons he's an ex. He's in his fifties and unlikely to change.

Quoting Msmom1104: Yes (my ex) and although I do believe that people are capable of changing, he has not. 13 years later he's still a damn liar. 😏
PJMM
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:49 AM
Yes and i left him. Idk if he ever changed but I'd guess no.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)