Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

IDK what to do..and I'm freaking out!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
So I have been told I have to have a hysterectomy on Monday. The surgery was scheduled 2 wks ago. Ill be out of work for 2 wks minimum. Found out yesterday that DF is being laid off and his last day is tomorrow. Idk what to do. We are struggling financially as it is. Any advice would be great. TIA
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:19 AM
Did he get a severance package? Can he get another job quickly? My husband isn't happy with one of the new people at his office and finally reached the end of his patience with her last week. He applied for a new job last Friday and was called Tuesday for an interview!
I think the job market is getting easier in some fields.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:25 AM
No because he isn't being fired just laid off so no severance. It's hard to find jobs in our area. If they don't bring him back within a month he'll start looking elsewhere. He will get unemployment benefits but that can take up to 3 weeks. We have our truck payment ins rent daycare (yes our 2 youngest will be in daycare still because 4yo ds begs to go and it will honestly be easier. Df will have to take care of me because I'll be totally dependent on him for the 1st week and after that he is putting a new roof on our house bc the LL will take it off rent. I'm just freaking out about bills and food etc. Idk how we will get by. ?.

Quoting Spam72: Did he get a severance package? Can he get another job quickly? My husband isn't happy with one of the new people at his office and finally reached the end of his patience with her last week. He applied for a new job last Friday and was called Tuesday for an interview!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:27 AM

Talk to your creditors now and see what you can work out.

Spam72
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:29 AM
Go to your county offices. I'm sure they have a list of temporary help. I think food is pretty easy to come by.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No because he isn't being fired just laid off so no severance. It's hard to find jobs in our area. If they don't bring him back within a month he'll start looking elsewhere. He will get unemployment benefits but that can take up to 3 weeks. We have our truck payment ins rent daycare (yes our 2 youngest will be in daycare still because 4yo ds begs to go and it will honestly be easier. Df will have to take care of me because I'll be totally dependent on him for the 1st week and after that he is putting a new roof on our house bc the LL will take it off rent. I'm just freaking out about bills and food etc. Idk how we will get by. ?.

Quoting Spam72: Did he get a severance package? Can he get another job quickly? My husband isn't happy with one of the new people at his office and finally reached the end of his patience with her last week. He applied for a new job last Friday and was called Tuesday for an interview!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Contact social services. You can probably get temporary disability, food stamps, and possibly daycare assistance if your DF is actively searching for a job. Those programs are there for these types of situations.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM
You have that backwards. πŸ˜€ Layoffs typically include a severance package. A discharge/ firing doesn't since its performance related.

Are they laying off a large percentage of employees? Many states have notice periods (example 2 months) if a certain percentage of staff are let go in a 12 month period. So if he were laid off tomorrow he would still receive full pay and benefits for the next two months.

He should file for unemployment immediately. It will take a few weeks before he gets his first check but he will also be getting his final check from his employer in his last day. It will keep him on the same two week pay period.

He should work on his resume, interview skills, and portfolio ASAP.

Quoting Anonymous 1: No because he isn't being fired just laid off so no severance. It's hard to find jobs in our area. If they don't bring him back within a month he'll start looking elsewhere. He will get unemployment benefits but that can take up to 3 weeks. We have our truck payment ins rent daycare (yes our 2 youngest will be in daycare still because 4yo ds begs to go and it will honestly be easier. Df will have to take care of me because I'll be totally dependent on him for the 1st week and after that he is putting a new roof on our house bc the LL will take it off rent. I'm just freaking out about bills and food etc. Idk how we will get by. ?.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Where do you live, that layoffs include a severance package??  

Never heard of it, but it would be nice!

Quoting Anonymous 4: You have that backwards. πŸ˜€ Layoffs typically include a severance package. A discharge/ firing doesn't since its performance related. Are they laying off a large percentage of employees? Many states have notice periods (example 2 months) if a certain percentage of staff are let go in a 12 month period. So if he were laid off tomorrow he would still receive full pay and benefits for the next two months. He should file for unemployment immediately. It will take a few weeks before he gets his first check but he will also be getting his final check from his employer in his last day. It will keep him on the same two week pay period. He should work on his resume, interview skills, and portfolio ASAP.
Quoting Spam72: Did he get a severance package? Can he get another job quickly? My husband isn't happy with one of the new people at his office and finally reached the end of his patience with her last week. He applied for a new job last Friday and was called Tuesday for an interview! I think the job market is getting easier in some fields.

Skittles2015
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:50 AM
What career is he in? Do they normally do lay offs?
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:51 AM
DH got a severance package when he was let go. It just depends on where you work and what they offer.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 4: You have that backwards. πŸ˜€ Layoffs typically include a severance package. A discharge/ firing doesn't since its performance related.

Are they laying off a large percentage of employees? Many states have notice periods (example 2 months) if a certain percentage of staff are let go in a 12 month period. So if he were laid off tomorrow he would still receive full pay and benefits for the next two months.

He should file for unemployment immediately. It will take a few weeks before he gets his first check but he will also be getting his final check from his employer in his last day. It will keep him on the same two week pay period.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:53 AM
California. I was notified (involuntary) in January, actual tendons ruin was March and received 8 months severance, full benefits, my quarterly bonus, plus cash out of 7 weeks of vacation.

How long did he work there and what is the reason for layoffs?

Quoting Anonymous 5:

Quoting Anonymous 4: You have that backwards. Γ°οΏ½οΏ½οΏ½ Layoffs typically include a severance package. A discharge/ firing doesn't since its performance related.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)