Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She looked at us like we had 2 heads

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 402 Replies
My mil came to us and wanted to talk about the possibility of her staying with us for a while. She got laid off from her job and it will be very difficult for her to get another one at her age of 62.

At the same time we have been considering getting a part-time housekeeper. We have for young kids and what larger home and it's just very hard for me to keep up with it. We have 2 guest bedrooms that are downstairs with the rest of the bedrooms being upstairs. We told her that she would be welcome to one of the guest bedrooms if she was willing to act as the part-time maid. It would probably until 3 to 4 hours of cleaning every day including laundry ( however I had already planned on washing my own undergarments myself even before it was going to be my mil).

This would entail a larger bedroom I think it's 14x16 with private bathroom. There is satellite hookup in her room there's a small TV but she would be welcome to bring her own if she wanted.
She would have free access to the kitchen and would not have to pay anything in the way of bills. She would be free to come and go as she wanted she would only be expected to ask ask if she wanted to have guests over to our house. Tell me this is a good deal. 3 to 4 hours a day in exchange for all of the household bills paid for you. Then she would have her unemployment cover car insurance gas cell phone and any personal needs.

When we made our offer she looked at us like we had two heads (each). She said that she thought she would just be able to stay with us she didn't expect to have to do anything to help around the house aside from pick up after herself. We told her that if that's how she feels of course that's fine but this is our offer take it or leave it. She said she'd think about it and my husband told me not to think too long because probably in about a week or two and start looking into hiring someone and once we hired someone the offer will be off the table. So that person will not be living we will just pay them
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM
Bump
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM
15 moms liked this
You're asking too much. She's your family member not a built in maid
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:36 AM
8 moms liked this
Three to four hours a day in exchange for a free place to? That doesn't seem too much to me. She is family but that doesn't mean she gets a free place to live. We might be willing to offer her a small amount of money in addition but that's about it

Quoting Anonymous 2: You're asking too much. She's your family member not a built in maid
Piskie
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:37 AM
10 moms liked this
If I was a family member, I'd never expected people to give me a house rent free and no bills for nothing.

Quoting Anonymous 2: You're asking too much. She's your family member not a built in maid
marmie41
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:39 AM
4 moms liked this
not a good deal for her but great for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
15 moms liked this
It's looked and you have four kids. And wth I would have slapped my son for marrying a girl like you. Would you make your mom clean and who said she would be there free she could pay rent and clean after herself and with four kids they can help clean unless you are making them spoiled rotten and self centered
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
8 moms liked this
Wow. How completely disrespectful of you. You'd look better if you actually did have two heads.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Idk, That sounds like a pretty good deal in exchange for and bored and all she has to pay for her own personal needs. Even if she was on her own she still have to do housework. Not as much but it would be a factor

Quoting marmie41: not a good deal for her but great for you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
20 moms liked this
She would be considered a domestic employee and you'd have laws you have to follow when hiring a domestic employee. You'd have to pay at least minimum wage and follow the DE labor laws for your state.
I think it's awful when you want to make her an employee let alone an underpaid maid. That's his mother!! It's awful!!

Quoting Anonymous 1: Three to four hours a day in exchange for a free place to? That doesn't seem too much to me. She is family but that doesn't mean she gets a free place to live. We might be willing to offer her a small amount of money in addition but that's about it

Gorilla_Mama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 AM
3 moms liked this

Good deal for you. Not so nice for her.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)