Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bi-polar at age 7?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
So a relative has a 7 year old that has various problems. For years they just kind of blew her off but she went to a different group of doctors and suddenly they are diagnosing him with all sorts of things. They said he has seizures (staring into space evidently although I have never seen anything like that) and adhd and put him on medication for both problems. Now they are saying he is bi-polar, from observation of him acting out in the waiting room. They wanted to put him on meds for this. She and her husband have decided not to put him on them at this time. He also is delayed socially and in speech and behind academically.

Is it normal to diagnose this so casually and at a young age?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:07 AM

No, nt even a little.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:14 PM
I thought it sounded odd.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

No, nt even a little.

Episkey
by Dra til helvete on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Many doctors refuse to test or diagnose bipolar disorder until 18
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:16 PM
It is supposed to take many many many tests by true child psychologists to diagnose a child that young with a mood disorder. She needs to get that kid away from those Drs.
SamMom912
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:18 PM
Bipolar is a serious DX and really hard/frowned upon to Dx at 7. Theyd typically (Drs) give him a "mood disorder" or new Dx of DMdd.
Are they going for new Dx? 2nd opinion?
Chosing to not do anything is kinda crazy... This isnt going away.
mama2KiraEthan
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:19 PM

He is too young to be diagnosed with Bi-Polar. We went through a rough spot with our daughter last year, and she was 13 and the docotor's were not keen to rush to that diagnois, despite showigng obvious signs of some mental illness. She did require medication for anxiety. Many mental illnesses present the same for young children.

Quoting Anonymous 1: So a relative has a 7 year old that has various problems. For years they just kind of blew her off but she went to a different group of doctors and suddenly they are diagnosing him with all sorts of things. They said he has seizures (staring into space evidently although I have never seen anything like that) and adhd and put him on medication for both problems. Now they are saying he is bi-polar, from observation of him acting out in the waiting room. They wanted to put him on meds for this. She and her husband have decided not to put him on them at this time. He also is delayed socially and in speech and behind academically. Is it normal to diagnose this so casually and at a young age?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Idk. She came by my work and I only had a few minutes to talk to her. It just sounded crazy.

Quoting SamMom912: Bipolar is a serious DX and really hard/frowned upon to Dx at 7. Theyd typically (Drs) give him a "mood disorder" or new Dx of DMdd.
Are they going for new Dx? 2nd opinion?
Chosing to not do anything is kinda crazy... This isnt going away.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM
I thought so. I don't really believe the seizure diagnosis either. I have never seen any such behavior displayed by him.

Quoting krazymom2boyz: It is supposed to take many many many tests by true child psychologists to diagnose a child that young with a mood disorder. She needs to get that kid away from those Drs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM
He's too young.

As for the seizures, those are a real thing. There are different types of seizures, some people really do look like they're just staring off into space however they often have no recollection of what's going on around them as it happens.
maureen813
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:24 PM

No. I am a child and adolescent therapist and the answer is no!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)