Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Insane growth spurt?????

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:21 AM
  • 14 Replies
My sd is 14. She went from being 5'1 to almost 5'8 and gained 40 pounds in the last year and a half.

She was always short and very skinny. A year and a half ago I was buying size 1 jeans. For school shopping this year, I had to buy size 9 and in some cases size 11.

She doesn't look overweight but she also isn't a skinny minny anymore. Probably due to her height. I've been trying to limit junk food and I rarely ever bought it anyway as I prefer fresh food.

My question is, that seems like a ridiculous growth spurt at that age. Especially the weight. She's had growing pains in her joints but her doctors don't seem concerned.

My DD is 13 she and used to be bigger and taller than her, and now she's thinner and shorter. Both have their menses so I don't think that is a contributer. I dunno, it seems excessive. Anyone else's kids have a growth spurt like that?
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:23 AM
It's totally normal, don't give her a complex about food though.
bethanymommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:25 AM
If the Doctor isn't concerned, then you probably shouldn't be either. Please don't make her feel bad about herself. Let the growing child eat...
ejkdmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:28 AM
My 15 year old boy has been having insane growth spurts for a couple of years now. This recent one includes eating like a bear going into hibernation and then the next day he is a few inches taller. Totally normal.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM
Yea. My neighbor growing up grew 8 inches in less than a year. His weight increased as well obviously.
Shanners19
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh no, I'm not trying to make her feel bad, but if I let her she would eat me out of house and home, lol. I portion everyone's meals and buy fruit and veggies for snacks,but thats for everyone not just her.

Quoting bethanymommy: If the Doctor isn't concerned, then you probably shouldn't be either. Please don't make her feel bad about herself. Let the growing child eat...
momtoBrenna
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM
It is slightly strange after her menses since they usually slow down after it but she could have done her spurt in reverse it happens. Just offer healthy choices and keep her active. The amount of weight gain is within limits for the amount of inches she grew.
Karopie_99
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:34 AM
My 15 year old son went from 5'10 to 6'2 in a year. And he put on maybe 10lbs. My 8 year old dd grew about 3 inches in a years time and her weight went up 11lbs. But shes not chunky, shes solid. My younger 2 are the same though. If the doctor isnt concerned about it, I wouldnt worry to much
81Crystal
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM
When a kid is growing through a big growth spurt like that her body needs the extra food. Quit worrying about portion size

Quoting Shanners19: Oh no, I'm not trying to make her feel bad, but if I let her she would eat me out of house and home, lol. I portion everyone's meals and buy fruit and veggies for snacks,but thats for everyone not just her.

Quoting bethanymommy: If the Doctor isn't concerned, then you probably shouldn't be either. Please don't make her feel bad about herself. Let the growing child eat...
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:37 AM

I'd be more concerned about the 40 pound gain in 18 months.  I just took our kids to the ped yesterday for their annual.  My 10-year-old grew only 2 inches, but gained 25 pounds over the course of a year.  I've got to take her for blood work to make sure her thyroid is functioning properly as her diet has not changed.  That's a lot of weight on a 10-year-old.  :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:43 AM
Goodness I swear some don't remember their education or don't bother educating themselves.

Puberty tends to me big growth spurts, not abnormal.

If she is active and eating right don't give her a complex over food and weight, sheesh.

Quoting Shanners19: My sd is 14. She went from being 5'1 to almost 5'8 and gained 40 pounds in the last year and a half.

She was always short and very skinny. A year and a half ago I was buying size 1 jeans. For school shopping this year, I had to buy size 9 and in some cases size 11.

She doesn't look overweight but she also isn't a skinny minny anymore. Probably due to her height. I've been trying to limit junk food and I rarely ever bought it anyway as I prefer fresh food.

My question is, that seems like a ridiculous growth spurt at that age. Especially the weight. She's had growing pains in her joints but her doctors don't seem concerned.

My DD is 13 she and used to be bigger and taller than her, and now she's thinner and shorter. Both have their menses so I don't think that is a contributer. I dunno, it seems excessive. Anyone else's kids have a growth spurt like that?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)