Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you walk your 3rd grader to class?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

This is the first year I am dropping my son off at school, he has taken the bus in previous years. The school parking lot is small and narrow and a mess in the morning. There is little parking in the lot, which means street parking, if not across the street and down the block. It's much easier to just drop my son off on the curb right in front of the school, but I do notice many of the parents in his class still walk their kid into the room. I think 8 is plenty old enough to walk from the front of the school to their classroom..

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jojobug13
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:47 AM
God no. I don't even walk her out to the bus or wait for the bus outside. She'd kill me. She loves being independent
dragonborn
by Wonderstruck on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Parents aren't allowed to walk kids to school here. They have to say buy at the front door.
(Except pre-k, I do have to walk my daughter into her classroom and sign her in and out.)
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM
I do occasionally. Mostly just to check in with their teachers or because they want to show me something in their classrooms. My boys are 4th and 5th grade.
bethanymommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:49 AM
I walked her in on the first day, but after we dropped little sister off (1st grade) she said she didn't need me to take her upstairs to 3rd and she went on her own.
I drop them both off at the curb every morning.
sarahfire
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:50 AM

No, the school only allows it on the first day. I won't even be walking my kindergartner to class after the first day. Some parents really need to cut the cord........

SAHMJC
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:51 AM
My daughter is in 4th grade. We only do it the first day only because they asked for so many school supplies that it won't all fit in her backpack and it ends up being a lot of stuff that she could not carry on her own she's very little period but other than the first day we do not walk her to class
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM

Parents aren't allowed to walk their kids to the classroom, they don't want adults just walking in and out of the school and it would take too much time to properly check in each one. Plus, they don't want parents lingering once they drop off their child and to try to use that as a time to speak to the teacher. If they did allow it, I still wouldn't walk them in. My kids usually take the bus, but when they don't I drop off at the curb, I have since my son was in kindergarten.

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM
No, only when I come to the school for her birthday and when I volunteer. I will eat lunch with her and walk with her back to class and chat a second with the teacher.
But daily, no! I will drop her off at the door and see she goes in and drive away!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:53 AM
If it was a new school new teacher yes I would walk my child to his or her class and meet the teacher.
ColieO
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:54 AM
Lol no. I haven't walked him to class since kindergarten. He doesn't want me to. Even my daughter that just started kindergarten Monday is asking to go by herself. I let her yesterday. She was so proud of herself.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)