Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do homeschooled children have an automatic educational disadvantage?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
Do you think they do?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rosehawk
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM

More often than not, yes. I've seen more parents that are NOT qualified or prepared to homeschool their kids, thus giving their kids a HUGE disadvantage. I've seen maybe three parents that are organized and prepared enough to home school their kids. They're all super Type A personalities and super organized by nature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:31 PM

bump

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

No. 

There are many different ways of homeschooling. In some cases, the kids are actually taught online by certified teachers. There are co-ops where there are teachers that teach the various courses, there are parents that do it all with a boxed curriculum. Homeschooling does not automatically mean a child is at a disadvantage. 

There are also some parents that do't do a good job and their children fall through the cracks. It depends on the parents and the children. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM
3 moms liked this
You're about to open Pandora's Box up in here lol. In T-minus 5 minutes, you'll have little Susie and little Billy's mom spouting off at how their snowflakes test 8 grades above the standard test scores and how they're on track to graduate at 13 with a full ride to Harvard.

Yeah...they have a disadvantage. A big one. I don't care what their parents say, those kids are set up for failure. I've known WAY too many.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Social not educational.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:37 PM
I believe so, which is why I send my children to qualified educators.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:38 PM
This has been my experience too except I don't know anyone doing it right.

Quoting Rosehawk:

More often than not, yes. I've seen more parents that are NOT qualified or prepared to homeschool their kids, thus giving their kids a HUGE disadvantage. I've seen maybe three parents that are organized and prepared enough to home school their kids. They're all super Type A personalities and super organized by nature.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:39 PM
Yes, absolutely.
Saphira1207
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Depends on the curriculum used

And on the person doing the teaching.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

No, most of the homeschooled kids I knew growing up were actually quite advanced. 

I think as long as the parents are not slacking off, they can succesfully homeschool their kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)