• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bassist Hound x Beagle

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies
We're getting a puppy tonight. He is mixed with Bassit and Beagle. Has anyone has one of the two of these dogs? I know they're awesome dogs, both of them.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacey541
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM
In my experience, beagles are escape artists and basset hounds catch a scent and go, and no calling would get them back. Very cute dogs, but not ones I would want to deal with at this point.
thelonebuffalo
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:33 PM
I had one growing up. 1/2 bassett hound, half beagle. He was a good dog, lived for 14 years. He had the huge feet and long ears like a bassett hound as a puppy, but grew into them as he got olde, and looked more like a beagle. He liked to chew on the blooms of flowers :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM
I have a beagle. She is so smart and loyal. Best dog ever. They love food and have good noses, can sniff out anything. I think you'll be very happy with your new puppy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:36 PM
Oh my goodness!!! How cute.

Quoting thelonebuffalo: I had one growing up. 1/2 bassett hound, half beagle. He was a good dog, lived for 14 years. He had the huge feet and long ears like a bassett hound as a puppy, but grew into them as he got olde, and looked more like a beagle. He liked to chew on the blooms of flowers :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:37 PM
Human food, even if it's healthy is a no though, right? We're trying to figure out what we should put him on.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have a beagle. She is so smart and loyal. Best dog ever. They love food and have good noses, can sniff out anything. I think you'll be very happy with your new puppy.
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:39 PM

My best friend has both a basset hound and a beagle. The basset is old now and doesn't give them much problems, but the beagle...which is actually their daughter's, but...well...long story... 

She says the beagle is the highest maintenance animal she's ever dealt with. Adorable and smart, but a constant source of irritation.

Quoting stacey541: In my experience, beagles are escape artists and basset hounds catch a scent and go, and no calling would get them back. Very cute dogs, but not ones I would want to deal with at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:40 PM
In moderation it's okay. Fruits and vegetables are good for dogs but make sure you look up what they can and cannot have. I have my beagle on diet food because she gains weight very easily. Many beagles do

Quoting Anonymous 1: Human food, even if it's healthy is a no though, right? We're trying to figure out what we should put him on.

Quoting Anonymous 2: I have a beagle. She is so smart and loyal. Best dog ever. They love food and have good noses, can sniff out anything. I think you'll be very happy with your new puppy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Yeah, because I was going to say, the good dog food consists of real vegetables, I thought.

Quoting Anonymous 2: In moderation it's okay. Fruits and vegetables are good for dogs but make sure you look up what they can and cannot have. I have my beagle on diet food because she gains weight very easily. Many beagles do

Quoting Anonymous 1: Human food, even if it's healthy is a no though, right? We're trying to figure out what we should put him on.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM

They easily gain weight. So they will need a lot of exercise.

I've only ever met one beagle that wasn't an escape artist. The others were quick to run as soon as they could. Just in their nature. We had a beagle that had managed to dig a hole between the shed and the fence. She would escape into our neighbors yard. We ended up putting bricks around the parameter of the fence, but she always escaped.  Every beagle owner I know had that happen except for Bebe. Bebe was mixed with another breed. I hink it was a chihuahua.

SciFiMama91
by 🎨Crafty Pants🎨 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:47 PM
My friend had a "bagel" as we called her. Lol

She would eat EVERYTHING but had a very sensitive tummy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)