Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And this is why I can't homeschool.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
I have Dd doing a little work here and there as she gets ready for 4th grade next week. Last year she failed the state math test and barely passed the English. I think a part of her doing so bad is that she doesn't test well. In English especially she can sit down and do practice tests and explain to me why it's the answer and so on. She reads well. She does struggle in math. So I try to work with basic math concepts. Today she did a small worksheet with multiplication. 2 digit numbers multiplied by a 1 digit number. She did it all wrong. So when I was explaining it she was completely closed off. I asked what we did in the previous problem and she told me "times it by 4." Then I asked, "ok great, were at that same point so what do we do now?" Her response "add 21."

Wtf?!! I don't even know where she got 21. She should have said, "times by 2" because the problems are identical but different numbers, a 2 instead of a 4. Still small numbers. That is what frustrates me and we have issues. She doesn't want to learn obviously and I have no patience for such an attitude. If I explain it the same way, no dice, and if I try and show her something different she just gets frustrated probably because at that point it's way too much information.

We're taking a break.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:07 PM
2 moms liked this

How are you explaining it her? Are you memorizing or are you explaining that multiplication is groups of a number? 

I homeschool and I used legos to explain to my youngest last year in 2nd grade. She is in 3rd grade now and is doing multiplication of 3 digit numbers. Things like 280*5 or 321*6...

Try using legos as visuals. She might be a visual learner that needs to see it in order to grasp it. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:07 PM

I suck at math. If my kids were homeschooled by me, they'd be learning with me. I'm trying to get better at it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:18 PM
I'm explaining that it's groups of numbers. I have had her memorize the basic times table. Of course at first we talked about why 4x3 is 12 and why 3x4 is the same problem backward. But moving forward I did have her memorize so it was a quick reference. In school she was doing 3 digits like that.
It really is her attitude. Especially when all of a sudden it takes 5 minutes to figure out what 6+6 is.

Quoting mcginnisc:

How are you explaining it her? Are you memorizing or are you explaining that multiplication is groups of a number? 

I homeschool and I used legos to explain to my youngest last year in 2nd grade. She is in 3rd grade now and is doing multiplication of 3 digit numbers. Things like 280*5 or 321*6...

Try using legos as visuals. She might be a visual learner that needs to see it in order to grasp it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:22 PM
I'm good at math. I have a great understanding. It's frustrating when she pretends she can't add and she's in 4th grade. If she truly didn't get it then cool. She's too close minded.
It may just make things worse so I'm sorry if it does, but I found mental math videos to really help me understand how numbers work together.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

I suck at math. If my kids were homeschooled by me, they'd be learning with me. I'm trying to get better at it.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:23 PM

Gotcha.. Karli does too sometimes. She was working earlier and she asked for help on a problem. I asked her what 5*8 was and she sat staring into space for 5 minutes before answering. She does not have them memorized at all and has to mentally figure it out every time. She just can't memorize them for some reason. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm explaining that it's groups of numbers. I have had her memorize the basic times table. Of course at first we talked about why 4x3 is 12 and why 3x4 is the same problem backward. But moving forward I did have her memorize so it was a quick reference. In school she was doing 3 digits like that. It really is her attitude. Especially when all of a sudden it takes 5 minutes to figure out what 6+6 is.
Quoting mcginnisc:

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

januaryqueen
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:25 PM
Dd(8) is the same way. Once she gets confused or frustrated, she shuts down. And she doesn't test well. I dread EOG'S. This will be the first year she takes them and I admit I'm worried.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:14 PM
I think this year it actually determines if they pass or not. Although last year they threw that out the window because so many kids failed. That test was crap too. I know it was crazy for 3rd grade. I can't even imagine how bad homework will be of 1 worksheet with 6 problems is this difficult.

Quoting januaryqueen: Dd(8) is the same way. Once she gets confused or frustrated, she shuts down. And she doesn't test well. I dread EOG'S. This will be the first year she takes them and I admit I'm worried.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:20 PM
Dd did make a lot of progress when I showed her she didn't have to memorize the entire table. She can count by 2 and 3 so why memorize those? Anything times 1 is itself. Times ten just move the number to the tens place. Times 11 is itself next to itself. There's a trick for 9s. If you know it forward you know it backwards. So really were only memorizing a small handful of facts. She finally grasped that and it wasn't so intimidating.

So just now I was explaining that 38*4 is like 30*4 and 8*4 added together. Here in Texas they still teach only "old math" but she had no freaking clue why she was carrying numbers and adding them to the tens place. I broke it down Barney style and this kid played dumb. I know because when she learned place value she did phenomenal. All of a sudden she doesn't understand it 3 years later?

Quoting mcginnisc:

Gotcha.. Karli does too sometimes. She was working earlier and she asked for help on a problem. I asked her what 5*8 was and she sat staring into space for 5 minutes before answering. She does not have them memorized at all and has to mentally figure it out every time. She just can't memorize them for some reason. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm explaining that it's groups of numbers. I have had her memorize the basic times table. Of course at first we talked about why 4x3 is 12 and why 3x4 is the same problem backward. But moving forward I did have her memorize so it was a quick reference. In school she was doing 3 digits like that.

It really is her attitude. Especially when all of a sudden it takes 5 minutes to figure out what 6+6 is.

Quoting mcginnisc:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

That's exactly what mine do. We learn that stuff together,lol.

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

DarksMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:23 PM

She needs a math tutor

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)