Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyway to get an iPhone 6+ for cheap? Damn the post turned out long

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM
  • 7 Replies
My grandmother has T-Mobile and will not switch. She's been with them since 2000 and she's stuck in her ways.

T-Mobile has gone to no contract phones so she can't pay 200 on a phone and lock herself into a contract. She's got to pay full price for the phone.

She doesn't want to. My memaw has the money, and she spends money on crap but for some reason she won't spend it on a cell phone. She just bitches because the screen is so small.

I've been trying to find her an iPhone 6+ for around 200 bucks and I'm coming up empty handed. Even on eBay. What I am finding is phones in that price range are locked so they can't be used on T-Mobile's network.

I don't want to buy her a phone that originally was designed for another network like att. I want to find her a T-Mobile phone.

I want an iPhone because while I love my memaw dearly she isn't the best when it comes to technology and she's beginning to piss me off when she berates me for not knowing how to fix the pos phone she has now that's not an apple phone when she fucks something up.

Example: she somehow blocked my aunts number. She called me on the phone and told me her calls were going straight to voicemail. I suspected she somehow blocked her but I don't know her friggen phone and can't very well fuck with it over the phone and she got pretty rude with me when I tried walking her through just finding the friggen menu screen. She flat out called me stupid because I said "I'm not sure memaw, I can come over tomorrow and look at it but I can't fix it over the phone"

Soooo any ideas or is this a lost cause?

I have tried so damn hard to convince her to either buy a phone outright or add it to her plan so she pays 30 something a month but she refuses. shes 84 and still remembers when homes cost 30 grand and can't believe anyone would ever think of spending 150,000 on one! That's her mentality and why she won't spend money on a phone.

I have Verizon, I would gladly give her my iPhone when I upgrade but it won't work on her network. No one else in our family uses T-Mobile. Everyone is on Verizon
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:03 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM
She needs to just pay for the phone. They will finance it for her I think.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:07 PM
My phone was with AT&T and I had it unlocked for T-Mobile. You can always try and do that. It just has to have a clean imei number
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM
They will. Money isn't the problem. It's that she doesn't want to spend the money. She fathom that cell phones cost 500 bucks now. She raised kids in the 50s and 60s. She's used to those prices. She bought her home in the 70s and it's been paid off for a long time now. She cant wrap her mind around the cost of things now a days.

Quoting Anonymous 1: She needs to just pay for the phone. They will finance it for her I think.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 5:35 PM
When you upgrade, ask Verizon for the unlock code. They should give it to you & then she can use it on any network.
AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 5:39 PM

Not what you were asking, but... user manuals for phones are easily available online.  That's how I'm able to help my mom with her FLIP PHONE.  She also won't pay a ton of money for a phone.  She doesn't have or need a data plan, and if we get her any type of new(er) phone, they're all smart phones now and have a monthly data usage fee.

Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 5:44 PM
No, not really. They use different towers or something. T-Mobile uses chips. Verizon doesn't. Verizon phone won't work on T-Mobile

Quoting Anonymous 3: When you upgrade, ask Verizon for the unlock code. They should give it to you & then she can use it on any network.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)