Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

College Loan Help

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 43 Replies

Does anybody know who I can call, or a website I can look at to find information about repaying my DH's school loans? 

He graduated with his bachelors in May and I know that loans typically come due 6 months after graduation which is November, but I have NO CLUE how to figure out exactly how much he owes, monthly payment amounts, who to pay or how (check, money order, online, EFT).

Does a bill just show up in the mail and I write a check and mail it in to the address on the bill or is there a process he needs to complete before hand?  He has not been successful in finding a job in his degree field so we just have our regular income from jobs we work now.    I don't know how we are going to add a loan payment to all our other bills so I am stressing out not knowing the exact amounts and due dates. Any help would be appreciated.

Because I know this will be a question asked more than once: Yes, I  have asked DH multiple times what the college financial aid office has said about repaying loans, what forms he needs, who he pays, when and what not but he has no answers for me. I get a "oh, yeah. I forgot to call them, I'll do it later" every time I ask!!!!   This situation is just so frustrating!!!!!  And the aid office at his college will NOT tell me anything except "sorry we can't discuss this information with you because you are not the student or the student's parent." 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:50 PM

Bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM
Fasfa website...
DensHag
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM
I would drag his ass in there by the ear and get the info I needed.
AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM

Does he have any of the original loan documents?  There should be SOME kind of information on there.

newwifenmom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:53 PM

Bug him til he tells you, its kind of important...

destinyangl21
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to nslfs.ed.gov you can login there and it will tell you where all the loans are
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:57 PM
My loan company emailed me, prompting me to create an account. Before payments began I had to choose how I wanted to make my payments, and sign off on it.
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:57 PM

Who are the loans with?  That would be your first step.  You can request a forbearance but time is running out and you need to grab him by the ear and yell in his ear DO IT NOW!!!

The fafsa website should have the info if he went through that.  Plop his butt in the chair at the keyboard and tell him to log into the site.   NOW!!!

Sigmalade
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:01 PM

He can log into the FAFSA website or wherever he got the loan from to find out that information.  Also, at the beginning of the year, he should have signed paperwork for the loan.Odd that he doesn't want to find out this information himself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:09 PM
Thank you ALL!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)