• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pre-diabetic

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
My DFs doctor just called me with his lab results from last week. They say he's pre diabetic so he needs to cut out carbs and eat food high in fiber. He's super picky almost all the food in his house is carbs carbs carbs.

Any suggestions on how to get him away from carbs & how to help him start this new diet without sounding like a mother.

:-/

I just want him to be healthy.
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:41 PM

He's going to have to make the decision.

He needs to give up especially refined carbs - white pasta, white rice, white bread.  Lots of green veggies, lean protein.  No soda, and beer is another bad one.

But if he's picky and only eating mostly carbs - yeah, it's on him to WANT to change.

PS - my understanding is they no longer use the term "pre-diabetic."

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:42 PM
I was just thinking about this. Idk, I'm clueless. I know my dh will cheer me on...while he eats pizza and nachos...
futuremrsclark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM
Well the Dr just said he was pre-diabetic? So I guess some do

He doesn't drink soda or alcohol so at least he has that going for him.

Quoting Not_A_Native:

He's going to have to make the decision.

He needs to give up especially refined carbs - white pasta, white rice, white bread.  Lots of green veggies, lean protein.  No soda, and beer is another bad one.

But if he's picky and only eating mostly carbs - yeah, it's on him to WANT to change.

PS - my understanding is they no longer use the term "pre-diabetic."

AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:44 PM

Well, don't be his mother.  Be his partner and go with him to a diabetic nutritionist, and let them tell you (both) what he should be eating or not eating.  Whether he complies or not is up to him.  Assuming you're the one who does the cooking and grocery shopping, your entire role should be to not entice him with foods he shouldn't eat.  If possible, don't have them in the house.

He's an adult and has to make his own choices here.  I know a lot of people who don't listen when they're told they're pre-diabetic, and then get all freaked out when they wind up with diabetes.  Hopefully your DF won't be one of them.

If he does want to comply, then do whatever you can to help him, but don't "do it for" him.

On a purely personal note, I wouldn't marry him if he's not taking his health seriously.  I've seen what happens to diabetics who don't control their diets (and/or don't take their meds).  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to be their spouse.  

futuremrsclark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:18 PM
He is taking care of his health that's why he went to the Dr.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

Well, don't be his mother.  Be his partner and go with him to a diabetic nutritionist, and let them tell you (both) what he should be eating or not eating.  Whether he complies or not is up to him.  Assuming you're the one who does the cooking and grocery shopping, your entire role should be to not entice him with foods he shouldn't eat.  If possible, don't have them in the house.

He's an adult and has to make his own choices here.  I know a lot of people who don't listen when they're told they're pre-diabetic, and then get all freaked out when they wind up with diabetes.  Hopefully your DF won't be one of them.

If he does want to comply, then do whatever you can to help him, but don't "do it for" him.

On a purely personal note, I wouldn't marry him if he's not taking his health seriously.  I've seen what happens to diabetics who don't control their diets (and/or don't take their meds).  I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy to be their spouse.  

AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:44 PM
Fantastic !

Quoting futuremrsclark: He is taking care of his health that's why he went to the Dr.

Quoting AbbyWalsh:

DDDaysh
by Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:47 PM
He needs to go to a nutritionist who works specifically with picky eaters.

I have a ton of food anxieties and so I understand his situation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:48 PM
Show him his future if he doesn't do something about it now. (Shots, possible amputation of limbs, dialysis when the kidneys shut down). I'm not trying to be morbid, but I have seen what happens when someone doesn't do what they should.
futuremrsclark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Thanks! I will!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Show him his future if he doesn't do something about it now. (Shots, possible amputation of limbs, dialysis when the kidneys shut down). I'm not trying to be morbid, but I have seen what happens when someone doesn't do what they should.
futuremrsclark
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:19 PM
Yes! I really need to..thanks!!

Quoting DDDaysh: He needs to go to a nutritionist who works specifically with picky eaters.

I have a ton of food anxieties and so I understand his situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)