Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm trying so hard to be sympathetic but I can't muster it

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have a cousin who has diabetes. She was born with it.

She has recently been hospitalized due to diabetes related issues. There have been so many Facebook posts asking for prayers and support. I, however, can't muster any sympathy. Why? Because everything she is going through could have been prevented. She doesn't take care of herself. She doesn't follow doctors orders when she goes home. It's back to fast food for dinner on a nightly basis and a relatively unhealthy lifestyle. Even her mother admits that she could have avoided all of these complications if she would just take care of herself.

I don't comment on any of the posts. Even the ones that she posts talking about what a horrible disease diabetes is and how she has to live with this every single day. I get it, you have to live with the restrictions that diabetes brings along with it. If she did live with those restrictions then she would be fine and not hospitalized every other week. She makes herself out to be diabetic martyr of sorts and seeks out sympathy. Am I being too cold for not being able to muster any sympathy for her?
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM
No, you're fine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:52 PM

No.  When I got diabetes from being obese, I lost the weight and followd the plan. No more diabetes. Next she will start a gofundme so she can profit off it

AvidlyWicked
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:53 PM
I think if she did that I will have something to say then.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

No.  When I got diabetes from being obese, I lost the weight and followd the plan. No more diabetes. Next she will start a gofundme so she can profit off it

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:54 PM
Nope, you're fine.
TB78
by Tasha on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:55 PM
Is this diabetes 1 juvenile diabetes or diabetes 2 the obese one?
cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:55 PM

Was she raised to eat healthy and treat her body with respect to her medical condition?

AvidlyWicked
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM
1 I believe. She's had it since birth

Quoting TB78: Is this diabetes 1 juvenile diabetes or diabetes 2 the obese one?
AvidlyWicked
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:56 PM
Yes. Her mother is a nurse so she knows how to care for herself.

Quoting cookiemonster77:

Was she raised to eat healthy and treat her body with respect to her medical condition?

DensHag
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM
I don't blame you. My sister is overweight and has all kinds of health problems. But refuses to change her diet and quit drinking Pepsi all day everyday.

I don't want to hear her bitch...I don't even talk to her anymore unless it's absolutely necessary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I have sympathy for anyone with chronic health problems. Preventable or not. I find the older I get, the less judgemental I get about other people's stuff. Your mileage may vary. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)