• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am against bullying, but

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
4 moms liked this
Instead of focusing so much in changing the bully, how about we teach our kids to have self worth, confidence , to embrace their individuality? How about we teach our children that words don't hurt.

Have we forgotten the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me."

We are raising a bunch of puss bags!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM
11 moms liked this
We have recognized that words do hurt and intimidate when used for that purpose. We also know that non verbal bullying techniques can be socially devastating...like if a mean for sighs and rolls her eyes every time a victim approaches. It's a little thing that's actually a very big deal.

We have also learned that empowering the victim and encouraging him/her to be assertive is good, empowering and encouraging the BYSTANDERS is the most effective way to stop bullies.

*girl*. if a mean girl sighs
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:21 PM

Because words hurt, Puss Bag.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this
But they shouldn't hurt. They didn't hurt 30 years ago. We have coddled kids too much.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids can have high self esteem and get battered with those words daily...after a while, they can start to take a toll. Keep in mind they are also children and they don't have the same brain capacity that adults do as their brains are not fully developed. It's much easier to tear down a child than and adult since they don't deal things the way and adult would.  

We, as adults need to build their self esteem- all kids as typically bullies have a low self esteem and lash out in the hopes of making someone else feel inferior. It is a power play for them. If they can make someone else feel inferior it fills a void in them that is not being met in other ways. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Words can definitely hurt, but otherwise I agree with you.

I'm sitting in a fold out chair right now watching DS participate in a karate class. He goes three times a week and is currently a purple belt. It teaches discipline, respect, self confidence and learning how to knock someone the fuck out is nice too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM
9 moms liked this

Yeah, they still hurt 30 years ago. People just refused to acknowledge it, just like they refused to acknowledge things like depression.

"Just get over it, it's all in your mind, be stronger."

Your assumptions are completely false that kids were better off for it.

Quoting Anonymous 1: But they shouldn't hurt. They didn't hurt 30 years ago. We have coddled kids too much.
Quoting Anonymous 2:

couture-mommy
by 8.21.1831 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM
3 moms liked this
There should be no "but" in that sentence.

We can teach our child all of that and more, but we are naive to think that they can handle hurtful words without it taking some negative affect.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM
They hurt 30 years ago, too. People just pretended they didn't.

Quoting Anonymous 1: But they shouldn't hurt. They didn't hurt 30 years ago. We have coddled kids too much.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

tsatske2
by Latricia on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Anyone bullied 30 years ago remembers that words hurt. Words hurt 100 years ago, and they still hurt today.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM
4 moms liked this
Of course words hurt. Sorry, but you sound like a mother attempting to negate the harm done by her bullying snowflake.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)