Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Laughing about the fees I had to pay

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 70 Replies

Enrollment was tonight at my son's school. We were behind a woman who is apparently low income. She balked at the $165/semester transportation fee. The people at the desk told her that since she qualifies for exemptions for the other $115 in fees, she'll qualify for an exemption for this, too.

The woman said, "Oh, good, because that's ridiculous!" and she and the woman at the desk laughed in agreement.

While I'm standing next to them writing a damn check.

I get that it's nice for low income families to not have to pay hundreds of dollars that they can't afford and I'm not saying that they should, but can't people be a LITTLE contrite about it?! At least just keep your mouth shut in front of those of us who have to fork over the money?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Glad our school charges no fees. Also glad they do free breakfast and lunch for everyone.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:23 PM
Perhaps you should understand that people who are having trouble with financial issues probably are more concerned with paying for things like food and shelter. Beyond that there are many that find the fees that have became almost standard, and some of them are quite substantial, in "public" schooling a problem whether it is about the actual cost or the idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM
1 mom liked this

And that makes it ok to laugh about how "ridiculous" standard fees are in front of people who are paying those fees? You don't find the least bit tacky?

Quoting Anonymous 3: Perhaps you should understand that people who are having trouble with financial issues probably are more concerned with paying for things like food and shelter. Beyond that there are many that find the fees that have became almost standard, and some of them are quite substantial, in "public" schooling a problem whether it is about the actual cost or the idea.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:25 PM
We don't have transport fees.
We do have yearly school fees that are $100+ that increases each year.
Then there's the extras for donations, supplies that other kids didn't provide, field trips, ect.
And middle/Hs have to bring laptops ect

Breakfast I think is 1.40 not sure on Lunch. We have our kids bring their food.
Mom2theboy1994
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

I thought our fees were silly! I've never heard of a transportation fee before. I can see where you are coming from, though. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:27 PM

i've been on both ends of the spectrum. I can honestly say that i would rather be able to pay for it myself than have to depend exemptions.  

Elyce225
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have been an asshole and said something about being happy I can afford the children I have.

Then laughed.
GKmoms18
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh man, it must be so rough for you
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:28 PM

I certainly don't eny people who have less than me, it's just frustrated when people act entitled or amused about not having to pay for things that they should.

Quoting Anonymous 5:

i've been on both ends of the spectrum. I can honestly say that i would rather be able to pay for it myself than have to depend exemptions.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM

No yellow buses here, we have to buy city bus passes.

Quoting Mom2theboy1994:

I thought our fees were silly! I've never heard of a transportation fee before. I can see where you are coming from, though. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)