Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I just lost my 3 year old

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 90 Replies
Tonight was meet the teacher night at the elementary school my daughter is going for pre-k. They were doing the whole school same time/night.

Her classroom was way at end of hallway. Was just a simple 20 min presentation of teacher going over stuff. We were at the end where we were handing in supplies and teacher was talking individually with parents, answering questions.

I had my 13 year old with me and he was helping me keep an eye on his sister and putting supplies on back table as I was going thru her backpack. She was standing right next to me playing. My son asked me question and I turned my back on my daughter for literally like 5 seconds to answer him. Turn back around, she's GONE. I started asking the teacher and other parents in teacher of they saw her and they said no.

I grab my 13 year old and we went running down the hall towards front of school. My daughter is a runner. She will take off any chance she gets. That's only place she would have gone. I grab the first staff member I see and tell her I lost my 3 year old and need help. I direct my 13 year old to keep going and check parking lot.

In meantime the lady I stopped takes me up front near office to speak to principal. She starts asking me what she looks like, what she is wearing. Then says she's in front office.

I go into office and there she is with a police officer. He proceeds to start yelling at me asking me what happened and was I watching her. He said she had gotten out front doors and was in middle of parking lot heading towards the street. I told him I literally just turned my back for a few seconds. And he said yes that's how it always happens.

I grab her and leave and on my way out I hear him yelling at principal telling her he knew something like that was gonna happen. It's just way too many people in school at once and too easy for little ones to get away like that.

I was crying hysterically at this point. This is exactly why 99% of the time my daughter is tied down to cart or stroller and we watch her like a hawk. She runs any chance she gets. I feel like the worst parent ever thinking about what could have happened. It was so scary.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM
Hugs.
landresky
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM
That would be a very scary and stressful situation. Why does she run?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM
7 moms liked this

I would have reamed her ass!!!!    She needs to know that running away is NOT acceptable at all...  you need to come down on her hard!!  for her own safety!!  3 is plently old enough to know better

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM
4 moms liked this

It happens! Always use a child harness. In this cases is a must, I am sorry for those who hate them, but I prefer my child to be harness and save, than free and lost. Sorry that happened to you mama.

mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:30 PM

That is scary. I'm glad everything turned out ok. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

ihave1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:33 PM
Take a deep breath. It happens.
mischele
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I had 3 2 yrs apart I really loved those animal child harnesses. I got a pink poodle, yellow dog and a monkey
mrsmom110
by NO on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

She has to be sternly told how dangerous her behavior was.  If you don't like those harness things, they make the wrist ones as well.  I also hope this is an eye opener for her new teacher.  Glad this didn't end badly.  Take a deep breath now.   Maybe even a glass of wine to settle your nerves.  (after you get your little Houdini to bed)  *hugs*

angelachristine
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:38 PM
Get a harness for her. I don't think every child needs it but some do. If she's a runner it will help until she calms down some.
terra221
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a runner too. Hugs to you and I'm so glad she is safe. Make sure the teacher is aware of her running tendency.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)