Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tichel or hijab = cultural appropriation?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
I'm growing out my short hair, and it's reached a really ugly stage. I'd like to wear head scarves, and I especially like tichels and the style most hijabis I see wear. I'm neither Jewish nor Muslim. Do you think doing so would be acceptable?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:38 PM
bump
autodidact
by Snarknado on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM

no, and yes. (you've asked two contradictory questions in your title and post)

covering the head or hair doesn't come from a single culture. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:40 PM

It's a decoration. Wear whatever the hell you want; no one has exclusive rights to any of it.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:42 PM

I wouldn't. They are an important part of the culture that has significant meaning, it is not right to just adopt them because they look cool. There are other headscarves out there that will do the job without appropriating a culture.

mamaracheli
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM
I'm an Orthodox Jew who wears a tichel. Wear it if you like. My tichels are literally just silk scarves bought online or at a store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:45 PM
WHAT TYPE OF TYING A HEADSCARF DO YOU THINK WOULD NOT BE CULTURAL APPROPRIATION? i'M AT A LOSS. Oops. Capslock, not yelling.

Quoting lenashark:

I wouldn't. They are an important part of the culture that has significant meaning, it is not right to just adopt them because they look cool. There are other headscarves out there that will do the job without appropriating a culture.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:48 PM

Women have been wearing scarves over their hair long before it became associated with a specific religion.  And all those bald women who are going through chemo wear scarves.  Are they guilty of cultural appropriation?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for your input.

Quoting mamaracheli: I'm an Orthodox Jew who wears a tichel. Wear it if you like. My tichels are literally just silk scarves bought online or at a store.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM
Yes go ahead there is nothing wrong with that at all
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:50 PM
Jews and Muslims don't use special kinds of headscarves. They can go into forever 21 and buy a scarf and put over their head.

Quoting lenashark:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)