Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm trapped in the past

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
But not in a fun spoof movie kind of way. I keep going back to high school and college in my mind. Thinking about good and bad times, mostly bad. Looking up people who's names I can remember. Checking LinkedIn to see what types of jobs people have. Of course it makes me feel like crap. I'm unhappy with 90% of my life right now, and have been for years actually.

Save me years of therapy and tell me why I keep living in the past, even though it makes me feel even worse about my life.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:20 PM
I do that too, but am happy with myself. I just wonder where people are!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM
Because you're not happy
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:21 PM
Shit, you sound like me. To answer your question, that's what depressed people do.

Quoting Anonymous 1: But not in a fun spoof movie kind of way. I keep going back to high school and college in my mind. Thinking about good and bad times, mostly bad. Looking up people who's names I can remember. Checking LinkedIn to see what types of jobs people have. Of course it makes me feel like crap. I'm unhappy with 90% of my life right now, and have been for years actually.

Save me years of therapy and tell me why I keep living in the past, even though it makes me feel even worse about my life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:23 PM
Ugh. Its annoying. Hey, I feel like crap, lets do something to make me feel even worse! What the hell, brain..

Quoting Anonymous 4: Shit, you sound like me. To answer your question, that's what depressed people do.

Quoting Anonymous 1: But not in a fun spoof movie kind of way. I keep going back to high school and college in my mind. Thinking about good and bad times, mostly bad. Looking up people who's names I can remember. Checking LinkedIn to see what types of jobs people have. Of course it makes me feel like crap. I'm unhappy with 90% of my life right now, and have been for years actually.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:24 PM
Why does it make you feel like crap? Jealousy?

I used to do that because my past was better than my current. I wanted to relive the good days by looking up old friends. Seeing their lives and reconnecting made me feel worse because it seemed like they had such a better life than me. And I felt stuck. It was because I was so unhappy with my life that anyone else's looked like paradise and the past was the only place I could remember being happy.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:25 PM
I had a blast in HS, but shit... I moved on.

And honestly, I'm crazy. Like legit, note from my doctor, crazy.
AbbyWalsh
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:27 PM

My armchair diagnosis is you're hoping to find someone else who's unhappy, so you'll feel better.  Chances of that happening are slim, because most people will only post positive things about their lives online.

If you want to feel better, realize that they're NOT posting the crappy stuff - that doesn't mean they don't HAVE crappy stuff in their lives.

Instead of comparing yourself to people from your past, compare yourself to what you want for yourself in the future.  Start doing whatever you have to do to be who you want to be.  Take the first step toward the future that you want for yourself.

sorrynotsorry1
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:27 PM
It's fine to look people up but I would first tackle why im not happy before tackling why you do this even though it makes your condition worse. Does it help just to think how the sky goes on forever? Or at least for a long ass time?? Just look around you, life is beautiful! Your brain needs a revamp. Therapy, eating very healthy, detoxing yourself by fasting, exercising, stretching, being in nature, being appreciative and medication may help you do that. A revamp. So tell me when are you ready to make the change and take the first step for a new you!!!???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM
Jealousy I guess, but its more like, why the hell did my life turn out this way, when their life turned out that way. Like, why can't I just fix it and be better, happier right NOW?

Quoting Anonymous 5: Why does it make you feel like crap? Jealousy?

I used to do that because my past was better than my current. I wanted to relive the good days by looking up old friends. Seeing their lives and reconnecting made me feel worse because it seemed like they had such a better life than me. And I felt stuck. It was because I was so unhappy with my life that anyone else's looked like paradise and the past was the only place I could remember being happy.
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:28 PM

I'm stuck in the 90's/early 00's. I mourn my youth daily. I wish I could help you but I'm in the same spot! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)