• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Incident At the Playground..... Advice Please!

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM
  • 11 Replies
We were at football practice and my older son's team got done about 10 minutes before the younger ones did. Both teams were scrimmaging. So my older son, Billy, was playing at the playground while waiting for his brother. No big deal, all the kids do it and you can easily see the entire playground from the practice field. They are side by side. Billy is at the merry go round, spinning it for several young children. A small boy, Billy said about 3 or 4, let go of the bars and fell off somehow getting stuck under the merry go round. My son immediately stopped the toy and helped the little one out. Billy s said the boys mom came over to him and asked my son why he wasn't watching her son, why he was spinning it in the first place, and why didn't he stop it quicker? Billy was very upset that the boy had gotten hurt and upset that the mom was upset with him. My sons have several much younger cousins and are accustomed to playing with and caring for small children. Honestly, they enjoy it.

Let me be clear, I'm NOT upset that the mom was upset with my son. She didn't cause a scene or really scream at him and I'm betting she spoke out of concern for her baby.

My question then, do I say anything to the mom to keep this from becoming drama? Or do I just keep quiet and see if she says anything and then respond?
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Allnamesareused
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:19 PM
I'd wait and see. It could of just been heat of the moment.
notuseless
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I would say he stopped it as fast as he could and since he is not her babysitter he is not responsible for watching her kid. She failed to watch her child and she failed to keep him out of danger.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:20 PM
I'd coach my son on what to say/do if a similar scenario happened him. Assure him it's not his fault and move on. I'd address her only if she continues.
bluebunnybabe
by kid crack dealer on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:21 PM
I would let it go unless it's brought up.
krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
That's what I was thinking. I'm so bad at social situations that I don't trust myself and wanted to see what others thought. Thank you.

Quoting Allnamesareused: I'd wait and see. It could of just been heat of the moment.
Melissa_4
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:25 PM

I'd wait to see if she says anything to me, and then ask her where SHE was and why wasn't SHE watching her four-year-old.

MrsBieg
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:26 PM

I'm in favor of letting it be done unless she says something.  I'd also talk to my son about going slower for little kids and stopping often so kids can get off....probably something he can figure out for himself after today.

If it was my kid, I wouldn't want him doing it for pretty much this reason.  But I wouldn't stop him either.  Maybe he can start doing a little schtick before he starts spinning.  When I take classes to the playground, before I open the door I ask

WHO IS GOING TO SCOOP SAND CAREFULLY?

WHO IS GOING TO LINE UP AS SOON AS I CALL LINE UP?

WHO IS GOING TO CRASH COZY COUPES INTO THEIR FRIENDS?

Obviously, some questions are answered "ME" and others are "NOT ME!!!"

Accidents will still happen, but probably less and NOBODY will be able to say he wasn't doing all he could.

Don't text and drive.  

1boy1girlmama
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:28 PM

wait it out

krazymom2boyz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:30 PM
That's a good idea about having him talk to the kids he's playing with, when they are small. Thank you.

Quoting MrsBieg:

I'm in favor of letting it be done unless she says something.  I'd also talk to my son about going slower for little kids and stopping often so kids can get off....probably something he can figure out for himself after today.

If it was my kid, I wouldn't want him doing it for pretty much this reason.  But I wouldn't stop him either.  Maybe he can start doing a little schtick before he starts spinning.  When I take classes to the playground, before I open the door I ask

WHO IS GOING TO SCOOP SAND CAREFULLY?

WHO IS GOING TO LINE UP AS SOON AS I CALL LINE UP?

WHO IS GOING TO CRASH COZY COUPES INTO THEIR FRIENDS?

Obviously, some questions are answered "ME" and others are "NOT ME!!!"

Accidents will still happen, but probably less and NOBODY will be able to say he wasn't doing all he could.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:44 PM
Wait it out, my brother watched DD when she was 4 weeks (I had to pee bad!) so he was holding her and my aunt kept trying to grab her and stuff when I walked out she was yelling and my brother did as I told him

He told her to speak to me which pissed her off when I walked over she said it was rude of me to tell him to not let anyone but him DH or my mom hold her...

Sorry but everyone's drunk no way it was a Christmas party
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)