Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You're wrong. Stepparents have a say

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 310 Replies
32 moms liked this
So sick of seeing people reply and post that just because a person is a step parent that they have no rights or say in anything.

And even more sick that bms think that the SM should stay out of it... Regarding visits, behavior or discipline.

My 2 stepchildren live with me, dh and my 2 kids. I take my step kids to the doctor, to school, buy their school clothes, pay for their health insurance. I'm the one that's there to talk about boy problems, school problems, help with homework and assess injuries. I take them to movies, dinners, camping and parks. I cook for them, clean up after them and console them.

I discipline them, ground them, assign chores and responsibilities. I reward them.

I treat them as though they were my own. All the kid's in my house have the same rules, get in trouble for the same reasons, get yelled at for the same things.

My husband and I are on the same level. He treats my kids as his own as well. Decision regarding both sets of kids go through both of us.

And I'll be damned if anyone is going to tell me that what happens with my step kids doesn't involve me, don't affect me, or has anything to do with me. Because I have everything to do with my step kids.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
Bump
Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:45 PM
11 moms liked this
Agree, and I'm not even a step-mom ♡
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Bm here I agree
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:47 PM
4 moms liked this
Blending families is gross. I'm glad I don't have to. I did it right the first time.
tklrcl2014
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:47 PM
2 moms liked this
Agreed, and I'm a stepdaughter
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
4 moms liked this
Blah blah blah. They're not your kids. It sounds like neither of their parents are raising them. How sad.
blue-heart
by Ruby Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
I completely agree! My dh was my oldest son's step father until three years ago when he adopted him. He had a say in everything that involved my son.
ResidentRedhead
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Actually, no. They legally have no say in anything that goes on with their stepkids. I'm so glad my kids won't have a step mother.
PrettyWings29
by Caribbean Queen on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree but I think it depends a lot on the situation. 

A.J.s_mommy
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:48 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't have a blended family but I grew up in one. What is gross about it?

Quoting Anonymous 3: Blending families is gross. I'm glad I don't have to. I did it right the first time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)