• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you handle... (Elementary school related)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
At the end of 2nd grade my son tested at dra level 38 (end of third grade level). They haven't tested them yet this year but they are supposed to start their book reports based on where they left off the previous year. Last year the teacher was more lenient and if they could verbally explain what happened and answered questions then they could read it (my sons a big science book reader). This year it is supposed to be all chapter books (my son hates fiction books). We are having a hard time finding books he'll read since his maturity/interest/ability levels do not match up. Any advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:45 PM

My son had the same issue.  I just kept taking him to the bookstore to look at books until he found some he liked, the How To Train Your Dragon series and Lemony Snicket.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:46 PM
If he likes science maybe let him try science fiction. I don't have much advice. I have a similar problem. My son's interest and curiosity are miles ahead of his reading level.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:48 PM
Quoting corticosteroid:

My son had the same issue.  I just kept taking him to the bookstore to look at books until he found some he liked, the How To Train Your Dragon series and Lemony Snicket.

We've bought so many books he swore he would read and never did that he's not allowed to buy from the book fair until he reads some of them.
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Talk to a librarian, either at the school or at a public library. They are very knowledge and will probably be able to give you both many suitable options
countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Could you find fiction books that have a lot of science in them such as a Wrinkle in Time or other ones about space? I know A Wrinkle in Time is above the third grade level but you get the idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:49 PM
Quoting ditsyjo: If he likes science maybe let him try science fiction. I don't have much advice. I have a similar problem. My son's interest and curiosity are miles ahead of his reading level.

Ya interest is above 5th grade, ability low fourth/high third, and maturity is kindergarten level lol. He has a hard time focusing long enough to finish a chapter book
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:50 PM
I know in my daughter's 4th grade class last year they were really big on non-fiction books because testing is based on non-fiction. Anyways a few titles I can remember that had anything to do with science are
A Drop of Water:A Book of Science Wonder
Animal Masterminds
REACH for the Sky: Everest

All the kids like the animal Masterminds one, it was always being checked out of the classroom library
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:51 PM
I use my Amazon prime and my daughter has found a gazillion free books she loves. She had a kindle. Best investment ever. She hated reading before the kindle and Amazon prime. I allow her to buy some books, when on sale!
balagan_imma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Take him to the library and have a librarian help you. They were a huge help to me when my kids were in late elementary school and had already read the Hibbit and Lord of the Rings. They gave me level and age appropriate suggestions.
lenashark
by Emerald Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 11:53 PM

There are plenty of non-fiction chapter books.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)