Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dh is scared to drive on the freeway. Help!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
My Dh has been scared to drive freeways for the past 9 years. When I met him everything was fine but one day we almost got hit by an RV on the way to Vegas. It scared us both shitless and since then he hasn't wanted to drive on a freeway. I have to drive if we have to take the freeway because Dh won't do it. He freaks out and we have to pull off if he is the one driving. It's really annoying but I don't know what to tell him to overcome his fear. He says he sees too many people doing stupid shit on the road and he doesn't want to get killed. He will drive anywhere else just not freeways. Any advice? Do you think he is being ridiculous?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:07 AM
I don't think he's ridiculous. The way people drive is insane, and can be really scary. I'm always thrilled when I exit a highway.
Melissa_4
by Navy Mom on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:08 AM

I'm the same way about driving on Rt. 80 in my state.  The highway freaks me out, and I feel trapped on it.  I won't drive it unless it's an absolute emergency level necessity.  I actually start having mild panic attacks days before I have to drive on it (when it's a scheduled thing, like my daughter's pediatric cardiologist), and then once I'm on it I have several attacks within a half-hour of being on the damn road.  It's really bad.  I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack on there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:10 AM
Whats his logic with you driving instead? The same danger exists
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:11 AM
No I don't think he is being ridiculous! I feel the same way! The older is the it get, the more afraid i am. Not sure why though!
Shadowgirl113
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't drive interstates unless I HAVE to. I know back roads to get around most of them here and if I have to get on its usually only a mile or so.

It's not something. You really get over. Some people can do it better then others. I have white knuckles and sweaty palms the whole time
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

just let it go. seriously it's not that big of a deal. if he wants to get over it suggest therepy but in the grand picture of everything him refusing to drive freeways is such a tiny thing. 

diaperstodating
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:13 AM
This:

Quoting Shadowgirl113: I don't drive interstates unless I HAVE to. I know back roads to get around most of them here and if I have to get on its usually only a mile or so.

It's not something. You really get over. Some people can do it better then others. I have white knuckles and sweaty palms the whole time
diaperstodating
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:14 AM
No he is not bench ridiculous. Don't force him to do something he doesn't want to do. Just continue driving.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:24 AM
We all have our fears. Rather they be rational or irrational to others. He may never get over it. I used to hate driving across the five mile bridge in my state. But having to do it over and over I am learning to be ok with it. I also hated driving alone long periods but again, getting used to it making the 4.5 hour drive back to home city from where I live once or twice a month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Have him talk to a counselor.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)