Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH was made redundant at work

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies

After 20 years he and many of his coworkers were made redundant. It is a huge shock. He still has 12 weeks of working left and then that's it. He will get some redundancy pay but I am freaking out about him getting another job. With his work experience and salary there is no way he will get a job that is as good as the one he has now. They (other companies in the area) are hiring 20 somethings to do similar jobs for nearly half the price. 

We thought his company was stable but I guess not. He will get some redundancy pay but if he doesn't get a job it wont last long. I work myself but losing half of our income will be a huge hit. 

I am just sort of freaking out at this point and needing to vent. I know we will find a way but not knowing what  will happen next is freaking me out. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maiden6910
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:15 AM
It took me a minute to understand, because this is not a term I have ever heard, but that sucks.

Is the redundancy pay good? I mean what is the percentage of his wages that he would get? And for how long?

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:16 AM
Sorry you're going through this.
What a shitty thing for them to do!
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:20 AM
See if his work offers a program to help find a similar job.
lucky2Beeme
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:22 AM

Sorry momma . I'd be a wreck too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:22 AM
How is the company able to make your dh and coworkers redundant but hire in new employees for a similar job? Were they offered the other position but it was too much of a pay cut? I admit I don't know much about redundancy jobs but from what I do know it's seems like what they are doing is a grey area that's a little ethically shady. Hope he finds something quickly. That really sucks:(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:23 AM

His pay out will be around £12,000

It is calculated as about a weeks pay for each year you worked from 20 years to 40 years and 1.5 weeks pay after that point. 

Quoting Maiden6910: It took me a minute to understand, because this is not a term I have ever heard, but that sucks. Is the redundancy pay good? I mean what is the percentage of his wages that he would get? And for how long?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:24 AM

His company isnt  going to hiring anyone new for those positions but all the other companies wont hire him at a salary close to what he was making. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: How is the company able to make your dh and coworkers redundant but hire in new employees for a similar job? Were they offered the other position but it was too much of a pay cut? I admit I don't know much about redundancy jobs but from what I do know it's seems like what they are doing is a grey area that's a little ethically shady. Hope he finds something quickly. That really sucks:(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:27 AM
I wouldn't worry too much. I was made redundant on the last day of my maternity leave with my youngest. I received 52 weeks severance plus a 4 week notice period. My current job is working 20 hours a week from home for the same company. I make 70% of what I made working 50 hours a week before the redundancy. LOL!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:32 AM

I've never heard this term, either

Quoting Maiden6910: It took me a minute to understand, because this is not a term I have ever heard
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 6:35 AM
Oh I misread and thought it was the company he was with that was hiring for similar positions at less pay. Still sucks though and stressful. I can't think of the name of it, but a few years ago I took a job skills test to see how my experience and skills could be translated into other positions. Maybe something like that would help him find a job that's completely different, one he might not think of, in which his skills and experience would be valuable.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

His company isnt  going to hiring anyone new for those positions but all the other companies wont hire him at a salary close to what he was making. 

Quoting Anonymous 2: How is the company able to make your dh and coworkers redundant but hire in new employees for a similar job? Were they offered the other position but it was too much of a pay cut? I admit I don't know much about redundancy jobs but from what I do know it's seems like what they are doing is a grey area that's a little ethically shady. Hope he finds something quickly. That really sucks:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)