Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

too much activities for ds?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
Ds is 10.

Currently he's in karate 3 times a week. Monday, wed and Fri.

he's joined a fitness warrior thing, classes are tues, wed, thurs and sat. Depending on which program he joins, he can either attend all classes or 2 a week (most likely tues and thurs).

Which means Monday through Friday, he'll have something going on after school. Mondays are the busiest since he has two karate classes (one he teaches, the other is his regular one).

He also wants to join basketball. Idk when the practices are and games are usually on the weekends.

This does NOT include regular homework, book reports or projects.

Weekends, currently, are completely free. but he doesn't get friend time in bc his friends go to their fathers for the weekends.

Is this too much? Karate is 2 he's long, the warrior is an hour.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:56 AM
That's way too much for any student.
YuppyMom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:57 AM
If he can handle it, it is fine.

My daughter always kept a rigorous activity schedule. She thrived on it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:58 AM
That is something for you and your son to decide. If he can handle it, I'm all for extracurricular's.

My son is 14. He is in martial arts 3x a week. Not to mention robot club and student council after school 4 days. My son is also in pre-AP/ high school classes so he has a heavy homework load.
brooklynchic151
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:00 AM
In my opinion it's way to much.
HelloHaps
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:01 AM
Wouldn't be for my kid and wish I could get a line up like that but for some reason all the practices for every sport seem to be on Tuesdays and thursdays. Already kids double booked on baseball and football.practices tho I was told that baseball would not interfere with football that was a.lie. For some reason my 8 yr old cannot seem to handle a second of downtime. He wants to have a friend over 24/7. I'm literally texting a.parent every day for him and it's just ridiculous
STVUstudent
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM

that would be too much for my kids.  Mine have karate twice a week, the girls have gymnastics and the boy has fencing once a week.  The boy has scouts once a week.  The girls will be starting Girls on the Run pretty soon and that will be twice a week.  Mondays are free for the girls, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are free for all.  Only you know your kid.  With us, if teh extracurriculars interfere with school work, they are cut.  School comes first.

ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:03 AM
If he can handle it I don't see the problem. Basketball might be a problem because of time so I'd find out what time practice is.
ShaMac
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM
If my kid has too much down time she gets broody. She needs the extra stuff.

Quoting HelloHaps: Wouldn't be for my kid and wish I could get a line up like that but for some reason all the practices for every sport seem to be on Tuesdays and thursdays. Already kids double booked on baseball and football.practices tho I was told that baseball would not interfere with football that was a.lie. For some reason my 8 yr old cannot seem to handle a second of downtime. He wants to have a friend over 24/7. I'm literally texting a.parent every day for him and it's just ridiculous
Rhodin
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM
Practices for sports teams are usually right after school
jd83
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:05 AM

It sounds like he already has a lot of time devoted to extracurriculars, to me. Some days he's up to 3 hours of activities if he has karate AND the warrior stuff scheduled, and still has school work to do after that. That's a LOT. Basketball would likely be an every day commitment during the school week, on top of the schedule he already has. I know school sports practices were every day after school aside from game days back when I was in school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)