• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to punch my MIL

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

PIL flipped out when they found out I was pregnant with my first. He was planned, wanted and loved, but my husband got laid off a few weeks after. They acted like we were 16 and even suggested aborting him. We didn't talk to them again until my husband got a new job and the rest of the family (uncles, aunts, grandparents) begged us. They seemed to have turned around with a few minor hiccups that seem pretty normal if terribly annoying.

Well. I'm pregnant again. Semi-planned. We were going to take a break from trying because we're moving to a new city. Go figure. Husband gets anxious and doesn't talk to his parents for a few weeks, his mom calls trying to suss out why. He tells her. First thing out of her goddamn mouth is to say that I need to get a job. We can't do it on one income, and I need to contribute to the household.

First, lady, you already know how expensive childcare is in NYC metro area. I can't GET a job that would bring in enough income to offset one newborn and one toddler. I don't even want to calculate how much money we're saving by my staying home.

Second, WE ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS. Our choice is final.  I stay home with the kids because we feel a parent being home is important to their development. We will revist work/income when both of them are in school. 

Third, WHY IS IT ANY OF YOUR BUSINESS?! Oh my god. This is insane and rude and WTF. Oooh. Might be pregnancy rage, but seriously. I want to punch her! 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
mommy_me
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:07 AM
She's worried her son and grandchildren will go without. I understand where she's coming from. But that comes from me having a very meddling mil
They can get frustrating but at the end of the day they mean well
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:15 AM
By her comment I assume you can't afford another child. Child care is expensive anywhere these days. I can see why she would be concerned, I would be too ify son couldn't afford another child. But, I wouldnt say a word.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:27 AM
We can afford it. We just don't see the point in my working at a job all day only to bring home pennies after daycare is paid for. Childcare in my home town is somewhere around 90 to 180 a week. Here? It's around 300 per kid.

Quoting Anonymous 2: By her comment I assume you can't afford another child. Child care is expensive anywhere these days. I can see why she would be concerned, I would be too ify son couldn't afford another child. But, I wouldnt say a word.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)