Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel like the world's most horrible mom.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
I am a single mom. My DD is 10 years old, and in that 10 years, I have never went out on a date. I just didn't want to. My main focus was my baby.

Yesterday I got asked out for Saturday. I really like this guy, and we have a lot in common.

I want to go. Thing is, I feel horribly guilty for wanting to go. I mean, I have never left my kiddo other than for work. Where I went, she went.

Why do I feel like this?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Because you spend time here and so many are against single moms ever enjoying themselves, let alone daring to date.

Go and have a good time. The guilt will lessen the more you do to make yourself happy.
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM

Because you made her your world and have forgotten how to have a life that doesn't revolve around her. 

Trust me it is important to go before you lose all sense of who you were before you had children.  Remember you also need a life as she will not be with you forever and you need to be able to find happiness for yourself. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM
I'm not used to making myself happy. That is kind of a foreign concept for me.

Like I said, my main focus is my kiddo and making sure she has everything she needs.

Quoting Ginger0104: Because you spend time here and so many are against single moms ever enjoying themselves, let alone daring to date.

Go and have a good time. The guilt will lessen the more you do to make yourself happy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM
She IS my world. That kiddo literally saved my life before she was even born.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Because you made her your world and have forgotten how to have a life that doesn't revolve around her. 

Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Why does it have to be mutually exclusive? You're not doing your kid any favors by trying to be a martyr.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm not used to making myself happy. That is kind of a foreign concept for me.

Like I said, my main focus is my kiddo and making sure she has everything she needs.

Quoting Ginger0104: Because you spend time here and so many are against single moms ever enjoying themselves, let alone daring to date.

mollyk124
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Just say No! To mom guilt. I feel guilty all the time. It's part of my personality!
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:40 AM

I know but it is important you learn to have a life that isn't 100% about her as well.  She will be growing up and living her life without you before long and you need to learn how to be happy and live without having her there all the time.  There is a delicate balance between taking care of your daughter and taking care of yourself as well. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: She IS my world. That kiddo literally saved my life before she was even born.
Quoting fullxbusymom:

jamminjules
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM
You deserve it, get dressed up, go out and have a great time!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:41 AM
I just don't want to be the type of woman who has men rotating in and out. I feel like I would be choosing a guy over my daughter by going out.

I WANT to go out with this guy. He is genuinely awesome, kind, intelligent, and hot as hell. We have so much in common it's scary.

Quoting Ginger0104: Why does it have to be mutually exclusive? You're not doing your kid any favors by trying to be a martyr.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I'm not used to making myself happy. That is kind of a foreign concept for me.

mollyk124
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:42 AM
You don't do anything for yourself? Nails? Hair? Coffee? Massages? Bad Habits?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)