Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you want to stop mom shaming...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
2 moms liked this

....then stop it!  Seriously, folks.

You know who bashes moms?  OTHER MOMS.  You know who doesn't?  Literally everyone else.  We may not support moms in the way we need to, and people may bitch about seeing a mom breastfeed in public, but NOBODY shames moms in our society the way moms do to each other.  It's not socially acceptable.

Yet I can't read a single post here, without SOME mom bashing another mom for being stay at home, or working, or being too loving (if you're a stepmom) or being too cold (usually if you're a stepmom), or feeding too much organic, or not feeding enough organic, or...

If we want it to stop, we have to do it ourselves.  Because the most vicious mom shaming always comes from other moms.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:33 AM
It will never stop, we all have different views.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Which we can share without insulting or shaming.

Quoting Anonymous 2: It will never stop, we all have different views.

iamme1986
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:35 AM
Agreed. Live and let live.
Ginger0104
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:36 AM
It happens whether people realize it or not. It's always happened, it just usually took place behind closed doors, among groups of friends.

Pretty much if you don't want to realize you're being judged by someone at some point, stay off social media.
AvantGardener
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
It's part of the evolution of women. It will eventually end unless we continue to objectify, vilify, and promote the stereotypes of women in our society.
Mrs.standafer
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:47 AM
It will happen as long as women have closed minds and think their view is the only way things should be.
Hanab818
by ThePonds on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM
The only mom shaming I get for my parenting is from my childless friends.
fallenangel_353
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM
Lol I don't think most women can stop. It's like in their DNA to have an opinion, be judgy and shame. For some women it's all they have. We are always put in some sort of competition even just in society as a whole. I mostly don't have enough shits to give to care about what everyone else is doing though. The few I have, I need for me.
momto2boys973
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
We should stop abusing and misusing the word "shaming".
Disagreeing with someone isn't "shaming" them. Thinking someone is doing something wrong isn't "shaming" them. Criticizing a behavior isn't "shaming" those who do it. Expressing an opinion about certain issues isn't "shaming" those who think differently.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:06 AM
There is a way to express a different opinion or even criticize a behavior without shaming, but calling someone a shitty parent IS shaming no matter how you slice it. I see way more of than respectful disagreements.

Quoting momto2boys973: We should stop abusing and misusing the word "shaming".
Disagreeing with someone isn't "shaming" them. Thinking someone is doing something wrong isn't "shaming" them. Criticizing a behavior isn't "shaming" those who do it. Expressing an opinion about certain issues isn't "shaming" those who think differently.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)