• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

since it's religious day...Mormons come on in!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies
My dh spent time in the Mormon church. He doesn't talk about it and I try not to bother him with questions because it obviously makes him uncomfortable. His mother on the other hand is still very much involved with the church.
It is very random but occasionally a missionary will knock on our door and ask for my dh by name. I don't know how they know where we live and we live in a different state than mother in law.
Anyway, my dh will step outside to talk to them. Aren't we supposed to invite them in and feed them? My dh said they will never leave if we do that but they have came by on freezing cold weather before...I'm just curious.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Inviting them in is not a necessity and they are feed daily by a sign up at the church but I do offer water.

They know your husbands name and address because he's still on the church record and when you moved to where you are his records were moved.  either he did it or his mother did it.

EarlGrayHot
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:56 AM

Since when?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks that makes sense. He has an airforce "friend" that moved into our area. He is still actively Mormon. We went to dinner there once and I loved the wife. My dh keeps his distance which is a shame.
Anyway, I thought maybe that family might have given them his information.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Inviting them in is not a necessity and they are feed daily by a sign up at the church but I do offer water.

They know your husbands name and address because he's still on the church record and when you moved to where you are his records were moved.  either he did it or his mother did it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:58 AM

I'd let your husband handle it the way he sees fit. Although, I'd probably offer something to drink, at least - water, if it's summer, or maybe hot cider if it's winter. Not coffee or anything else with caffeine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 10:59 AM
What do you mean?

Quoting EarlGrayHot:

Since when?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

His mom probably had his records moved.  They give the name and new address to the clerk and he electronically sends the record to the new ward (congregation).  

In some places the ward provides dinners every day for the missionaries and in some places they don't or they don't provide them every day.  Sister missionaries (the females) seem to get less dinners than the Elders (males).  Or at least that's how it was when I was a missionary.  Missionaries also have money each month to buy groceries and other items they need, but they do need to be frugal.   They always appreciate  being fed, but you don't have to.  When I was a missionary that was not the norm to go knock on someone's door and then they feed us.  But it did happen every once in a while.  

Also, you don't have to let them in if you don't want to.  The only time it would be rude to turn them away would be if you had set up an appointment with them previously to come at that time and then you turned them away.  Or if you were actually rude and slammed the door on them or said something ugly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you for clearing that up. I know his mom always keeps food on hand for missionaries. I wasn't sure if they were coming by with expectations of being fed. I know this is something I should ask my dh but again he always seems uncomfortable with the subject so I don't press him.

Quoting Anonymous 4:

His mom probably had his records moved.  They give the name and new address to the clerk and he electronically sends the record to the new ward (congregation).  

In some places the ward provides dinners every day for the missionaries and in some places they don't or they don't provide them every day.  Sister missionaries (the females) seem to get less dinners than the Elders (males).  Or at least that's how it was when I was a missionary.  Missionaries also have money each month to buy groceries and other items they need, but they do need to be frugal.   They always appreciate  being fed, but you don't have to.  When I was a missionary that was not the norm to go knock on someone's door and then they feed us.  But it did happen every once in a while.  

Also, you don't have to let them in if you don't want to.  The only time it would be rude to turn them away would be if you had set up an appointment with them previously to come at that time and then you turned them away.  Or if you were actually rude and slammed the door on them or said something ugly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 9, 2016 at 4:07 AM

BUMP for lds members

Kaelee1
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2016 at 4:16 AM

My son just left for his two year mission.  Anyway, they don't stop by expecting anything.  They were probably given his name as a referral or someone is looking because his records are being moved around.  Mostly, just be nice to them.  They are young kids just trying to do what they think is right.  They aren't trying to harass you.  He could ask to be left alone or put on a 'no contact' list but sometimes those lists get outdated or lost.  Hope this helps.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 9, 2016 at 4:25 AM
I was raised LDS and my mom is still an active member. We've always invited them inside and offered something to eat or drink. Sure, they usually sit a while, but I don't mind. I enjoy talking to them and they aren't pushy. I usually tell them that I'm not active and they will offer to pray with me and leave it at that.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)