Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you lend your things out?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies
Dh has the bad habit of letting my family or his borrow our stuff and I'm so done with that!

Dh lent my brother my tent. We used it a few times its huge. And one day it's gone! I asked Dh about it he said oh I lent it to your brother. That was 2 yrs ago! He's used it a lot bc he has pictures up with it on trips, in their backyard. I asked him for it and he kept shrugging me the damn thing is torn! Nvm he can keep it now.

My older brother asked to borrow my vacuum. I said sure. He has cats.
He used it two different times. I get it back abd I'm fixing to use it and MF smells like burning wires! Ugh!! I check it out can't figure WTF is wrong with it. It loud now when it was fairly quiet. Well shoot there goes my vacuum.

Dh's brother and gf moved into a rental home. We went to stay with my in laws til my house is ready so all our stuff was in storage. It would be a few months for us. Dh's brother asked him if he could borrow our washer/dryer. They live 45 minutes away, he didn't even ask me!
My mil's dryer has been messing up so I asked Dh to go pick up ours from our storage. He kept saying tomorrow, next day, it never came. I'm getting pissed having to go waste money at laundry mat, hanging up clothes. I was like fine! I'll figure out who can help me go get it. Finally he says his brother borrowed it! Are you kidding me!?!? I was beyond pissed off!
I had him call his brother and tell him he never asked me to use them they are mine, and we need them back! It's just then two, I have 4 kids laundry is never done.
I asked Dh when did they take them. He said since April! Grrrrr!!
Hope it's in good condition and ain't messed up!

So lesson learned. I will never lend ppl my shit!
They can buy their own things. I'm done!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:53 AM
Why is your BIL so incapable of buying his own stuff?
xoch86
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:56 AM

The things people, are asking to borrow are ridiculous.. Who borrows a washer.. A vacuum..a tent.. And worse, doesn't give it back! Yah, i wouldn't let anyone borrow anything either..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM
I have no idea! Seems like they had no intentions on buying their own. Assholes!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Why is your BIL so incapable of buying his own stuff?
K3412
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I only lend things that we are okay if we don't get back. Usually they don't have a value over $50 or so. I would never lend someone anything that we were actively using, either.

Pink.Sunshine
by Petty Princess on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

not unless I never want to see it again

cookiemonster77
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 11:58 AM

I only lend things out that I would be ok with not receiving back. Unless we are talking about my close friends who are close to me because I choose to be friends with responsible people who I trust. 

I understand your DH didn't think you would need your washer for a few months and is probably feeling awkward to ask for it back. However, you should not be the one to go without since it is your property. DH needs to tell his brother sorry we can no longer go without the washer and dryer, I'll be by to pick it up. Sorry we can no longer help you. But really, now that I see they had it since April, your dh should have reminded his brother along the way that it wasn't a permanent sollution to keep the items. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:00 PM
Seems like you have to get your dh to stop loaning things out.

We no longer let people borrow. They either mysteriously lose it, break it, swear up and down we GAVE it to them to KEEP and have the nerve to get offended when we ask for it back, or they return it empty like the one time we loaned our lawn mower to a neighbor and it was full of gas already but he didn't have to decency
to replace the fuel he used.
tsatske2
by Latricia on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:02 PM

I do loan things out to family. Usually they come back fine. If they don't, I know it could have happened while I had it too. Though most of my family would offer to pay for something if it broke while they had it, I'd probably shrug them off. I've never had anyone keep things that were loaned to them, that I remember.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:02 PM
Yes, it's ridiculous! Things they can buy on their own, but rather not spend the money bc it's easier to borrow from someone and hope they forget and never give it back! Bullshit! Grown ass people!

Only thing I've borrowed was a dress, but I dry cleaned it and took it back to my friend the next day! I'm not that kind of person to always borrow and keep it.

Quoting xoch86:

The things people, are asking to borrow are ridiculous.. Who borrows a washer.. A vacuum..a tent.. And worse, doesn't give it back! Yah, i wouldn't let anyone borrow anything either..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:04 PM
Depends on who it is. My sister- sure! anytime. I get that you live 4 hrs away but I know I'll get it back in the same exact condition or she'll replace it without even asking me.

My ex mil- no. Never. Things never get returned or if it does, it's trashed. Including the dvd Annie- the dvd itself is fine but the case still smells faintly of cigarette smoke.

But I'm huge on if I borrow something, it's getting returned or replaced. I've been helping a friend with her yard, using her tools. I broke one of them and damn, I still feel so bad about it. She's like eh, it's whatever! We have 4 more of them (which is true).. but it still bugs me. She won't let me replace it. Gah!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)