Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you guilty of multi-tasking?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM
  • 14 Replies

4 Ways to Stop Multitasking, Because Being Good at It Is Actually Bad for You

Stephanie Booth
Stephanie Booth

mom multitasking with kids

Look at you there, so proudly reading this on your screen while you gulp down a cup of coffee, shove the crusts of your kiddo's leftover PB&J into your mouth, wash a couple of dishes, read what JK Rowling and Amy Schumer just tweeted to one another, AND text your husband to get toilet paper on the way home. You've got multitasking down to a science. But alas, doing everything -- and we mean EVERYTHING -- at once is hurting your brain big-time.

A recent Quartz article broke down what happens in the simplest possible terms:

When you multitask, you don't really do everything at once. You toggle between a bunch of crap. Kind of like flipping through TV channels without watching any one show. Mentally switching gears like that uses up your brain's energy stores, leaving you depleted and LESS able to concentrate.

We'd be horrified by that if we hadn't skipped out for a few min to read a few headlines, text a friend about that JK Rowling–Amy Schumer exchange, and try to gleam what's going to happen on Stranger Things during season 2.

Yosub Kim, Content Strategy Director animated GIF

Where were we?

Oh, yes! Multitasking: Bad. Very bad. So why are we all going to continue to do it anyway?

"We women tend to take on a lot -- at work, at home, and in our relationships too," explains Samantha Ettus, a work-life balance expert and author of The Pie Life: A Guilt-Free Recipe for Success and Satisfaction. "This means that we have different slices of our life that we're thinking about at all times."

Hence, multitasking. It feels necessary and the ONLY way to get through our super-crowded days. But, as you already know, there is a cost. And we're not just talking about your massive credit card bill from Starbucks.

"The danger of multitasking is doing a lackluster job at each task or even forgetting some of them," Ettus points out. "It's hard to do well at anything when you're only giving it your partial attention."

So quick, before you run off to throw some laundry in the dryer, head to Pilates class, or grab the kids from school, here's how to break this brain-eating habit.

amy poehler animated GIF

1. Don't think of it as "breaking a habit." "Think of it as getting your priorities straight," Ettus says. "You aren't going to do less today, but you can put it all in order." Sounds better, right?

2. Write everything down. Scribble a to-do list on an old-school piece of paper, type it on your phone, draw it onto a dry-erase board  -- doesn't matter. But EVERYTHING you need to get done today -- even things you're pretty sure you'll remember -- needs to be put into writing.

"The biggest danger of multitasking is not finishing what you start and forgetting to attend to all that is on your plate," explains Ettus. "Writing it down prevents this."

More from CafeMom: Heartstopping Video on Texting & Driving Is a Wake-Up Call for Multitasking Moms

3. Commit to being charismatic. Think of the most charming, exuberant, friendly person you know. When you're with that person, he or she makes YOU feel like the most interesting person in the room, yes?

You need to mimic his or her behavior, Ettus says. "Give that [same] level of attention to everything you do."

So it's not: "Ugh, I have to balance my boring stupid checkbook" -- but instead, breaking out a laser-like focus and eagerness to see all those debit card transactions. Still not convinced? Fake it till you make it.

4. Go slow. Multitasking is an ingrained habit. You have as much chance of quitting cold turkey as you do giving up Facebook or going gluten-free overnight.

Analyze your daily habits, stick to your to-do list, and then, slowly and patiently, tend to mark things off your list one by one.

"Doing it all simultaneously won't help you get it done faster," reminds Ettus, "but it will ensure that you get it done sloppier."

Are you guilty of multi-tasking?

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:43 PM
It's my constant state of being
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM

I try REALLY hard not to. It pisses people off. At work, if I'm in the middle of something, I don't answer my phone.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this
It's an expectation at work that people do this. I can argue with why it's had until I'm blue in the face while I stand in the unemployment line.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Another crap article, doctors, and emts all multi task. Slow people are a waste of space.
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:57 PM

I have to disagree with most of it.

I do have a to do list - every day.  It has everything on it.  I do it first thing in the morning.  I don't necessarily cram it all together - but I figure out the most efficient way of doing things WHILE making my list (learned long ago).  For instance - I might put a load of laundry in when I get up - while that is washing, I will shower, put the laundry in the dryer, eat breakfast, do the dishes, take the laundry out and fold it.  Group all my errands together, with timing for them (for instance, some places will close or open earlier than others).  I keep a running list of things I'm low on for when I DO go to the store.

And I've never had that "laser light focus."  Even in school, I'd skip from one subject to the other while doing homework.  All jobs that I've had (since high school) have had a variety of aspects to them, and I'd switch between them - otherwise I get bored.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 9, 2016 at 4:18 AM

No

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 9, 2016 at 12:28 PM

I multi-task and I don't see a problem with it. 

Thatsnotme
by Member on Sep. 9, 2016 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely, whoever wrote this has no idea how it works. I can write an e-mail and a report all while having a meeting with a client. I have a brain that works at 100/mph, if I stop and did every task I'd be there until the next day.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Another crap article, doctors, and emts all multi task. Slow people are a waste of space.

MikaNTey314
by on Sep. 9, 2016 at 1:43 PM

Yep, came out the womb multitasking. lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 9, 2016 at 1:50 PM
Funny everything I read before this said using your brain was good.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)