• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Childcare Providers/Daycare Workers/Kindy Teachers/etc

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM
  • 39 Replies
What do you do when a kid throws a tantrum when parents leave?

I am a rookie with watching kids out of my house. Yesterday I started watching an almost-2-yr old boy, and he really freaks when Mama leaves. I've watched him before a couple of times so he knows me, and his mom has always worked and left him with a sitter so he's definitely used to it, he's just two and throws fits.

So would you ignore it and let him settle down/get distracted on his own or do you comfort him and try to make him feel better? I dont want to encourage bad habits.
by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SunshneDaydream
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM
Bump
SunshneDaydream
Bump
SunshneDaydream
Bump
fullxbusymom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM

Snuggle with them and try to distract with something of interest.  At 2 they need comfort. 

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Comfort and reassure. Just because he is used to a sitter doesn't mean he is used to you yet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I let them have their moment. They usually collect themselves fairly quickly and get on with the day.
Mine have a chair to go to if they are just going to cry, without a valid reason.
I make sure everyone is safe, not hurt, but if you're just throwing a fit. Go sit in the chair, throw you fit and when you are done let me know.
Works for us.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:20 PM

Whatever you do, don't yell at him. My preschool teachers yelled at me for crying and I cried literally the entire year.

My kindergarten teacher was a sweet grandma type and I never cried.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:21 PM

redirect him when she leaves

tsatske2
by Latricia on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM

I hold them till they calm down. I worked in daycare before I retired, and my sis owns a daycare.

jjessers
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM
Anytime I've watch someone else's child and the child cried when mom left , I distract the child .
Pull up a chair ( with the back of the chair against the counter/sink so they can't tip it backwards) or step stool to the sink and let them play with a plastic bowl or cup or anything that can get wet , and let them play in the water a few minutes.
Put on some music and start dancing.
Have them "help you" make something to eat .
Pull out pots and pan and a big spoon and play drums with them.
There are plenty of things to distract them. That's what has always worked for me .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)