Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you let your kid walk 100 miles?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies

There are a group of students at the local high school who are planning on walking 100 miles over fall break. Their goal is to walk about 20 miles a day and get it done in 5 days. These kids are 16 and 17. They have places to stay each night along the way. 

I guess they got the idea from a school in another country and think it would be a fun journey 

Would you allow your kid to participate in this? Mine are grown and gone but I think I would be supportive and just to have them let me know if they need me to come pick them up. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM
4 moms liked this
Yeah. If the child was healthy and capable. If you are concerned, parter with your child's Doctor. My 2 oldest are very athletic and my oldest is a distance runner on the track team.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:09 PM
If they wanted to sure
PinkButterfly66
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

If she really wanted to.  Is there a specific reason or are they doing it just because?  I've heard of kids doing it to raise awareness about something, but not just for giggles.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I certainly would.  20 miles a day is just walking, no running.  Nothing wrong with it at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM
Yes.

My dd8 is in the mole club at her school. She did 200 last year
Sweet_Eagle
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:19 PM
Yeah, more than likely. Unless they were walking through, say, Detroit at dusk, then I'd have some reservations. :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure. 20 miles a day is a long way to walk though, especially 5 days in a row. Are these kids training for this or do they think they are capable of it right of the bat?

PlumbersWife344
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:20 PM
Sounds like my sons anyways
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:21 PM

They are going to train for it fall break isnt for a couple months. 

Quoting Anonymous 5: Sure. 20 miles a day is a long way to walk though, especially 5 days in a row. Are these kids training for this or do they think they are capable of it right of the bat?

rachel216
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 3:22 PM
Yes. I would
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)