• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

this school is bat s*** crazy

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM
  • 75 Replies

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/family-relationships/mississippi-school-punishes-9-year-old-girl-for-wearing-formfitting-clothes/ar-AAiqpJt?li=BBmkt5R

if you can copy and paste this to your browser. or hmmm. lets see;

School is barely back in session and already the age-old debate over dress codes has begun.

The latest front in the wardrobe wars is in Brookhaven, Miss., where educators are being slammed for "body shaming" a 9-year-old girl they yanked from class for wearing clothes they consider to be too tight. Now, it's the school that is being shamed for "bullying" the girl after her uncle went public.

In a viral Facebook post, Robbie Nettles shared side-by-side photos of his niece in two outfits — wearing a tee-shirt and leggings in each one — and said she was immediately sent to in-school suspension because of her "formfitting" clothes.

<br _moz_dirty="" />

"Does this punishment seem appropriate to you?" Nettles asked in his post, including the hashtag #9yearoldbodyshaming. "Apparently, it is acceptable to body shame a 9-year-old. My niece may not be the ideal weight, but she was not showing anything inappropriate. It sickens me to imagine my sweet niece going to a school that cares more about her weight than what's in her mind."

When the girl's mother brought her what she thought was a better option, Brookhaven Elementary school officials also deemed that unacceptable.

The reaction on social media was fast and furious.

"It's so sad, there is nothing wrong with her outfits,"a commenter wrote on Nettles' Facebook post, which has been shared more than 46,000 times. "I wonder if they thought of what they may have done to her emotionally?"

"This is targeted bullying in my eyes and needs to be addressed," another commenter agreed.

The school is standing by the suspension — and the dress code that bans too-tight clothes. Brookhaven School District Superintendent Ray Carlock told that school officials followed proper protocol.

Meanwhile, Facebook users continue to stand in support of Nettles and his family, calling the punishment "heartbreaking" and potentially damaging to the young girl's self-esteem.

"No 9-year-old should have to deal with this situation," he told The Daily Leader. "And be made to feel criticized about her body weight."

by on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:44 PM
You'll need to actually tell us what happened.
Joelskatysmom
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM

Waiting for someone to make it clicky!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:46 PM
Ugh what happened? Link is not clicky.
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:47 PM
School gave 9 year old in school suspension because her clothing was so tight that you could see the outline of everything. School even posted in dress code that clothes were not to be too form-fitting
Uncle blasted her picture all over social media and said it was because his niece was obese that the school fat shamed her

Quoting imthatgirl0607: You'll need to actually tell us what happened.
Talkingheads
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:48 PM
Dress code states that too tight clothing is banned. The clothes are too tight
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM
No, picture?
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:49 PM
I'd have to see the outfits.

However, i see nothing wrong with school forbidding leggings.
imthatgirl0607
by Emerald Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM
2 moms liked this
I'd have to side with the school

Quoting silverdawn99: School gave 9 year old in school suspension because her clothing was so tight that you could see the outline of everything. School even posted in dress code that clothes were not to be too form-fitting
Uncle blasted her picture all over social media and said it was because his niece was obese that the school fat shamed her

Quoting imthatgirl0607: You'll need to actually tell us what happened.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 5:52 PM
3 moms liked this

Where did they body shame her?the school pointed out a dress code violation. I hate this my kids is special and doesn't need to follow the rules. Do people even think about the fact the kids are learning a lesson in life with this?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)